SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:53 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:00 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

I've spent very little time on Jocassee, but I want to try and catch of few of those trout up there. I spend most of my time Crappie fishing on Hartwell and Russel so my flat bottom aluminum is set up with rod-holders for a "spider-rig". I'm not interested in investing in downriggers, spoons, etc. so I was thinking of just using the same technique I use for Crappie. My plan was to get some shiners, try to find some bait/fish on the graph, set my poles at that depth and drift/slow troll with the trolling motor on the lowest setting. (NOTE...This is my plan) My question is...Will it work? I have questions, for example. 1. What part of the lake and depth will the trout be in in Feb/early March? 2. Should I catch my bait or can I just purchase shiners at the store on the way up to the ramp? 3. How close can a sinker be to the bait without spooking a trout in that clear water? 4. I've heard that the guys that troll with downriggers will sometimes get upset with a fisherman who is somewhat stationary if he is in "their route", is this true?

Any help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:18 pm 

Best thing to do is buy blueback herring and free line them in the back of bear creek and laurel fork.... whatever u do dont bring a throw net to jocassee... against the law ... as for being in anybodies way you buy licenses just like they do so they will have to get have to go around u... jigging spoon is very good... but by far their is nothing in jocassee that can swim by a blueback herring without takes a bite.. good luck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks for the feedback! Now, by free-lining do you mean just placing the rods in my spider-rig and let the herring take it wherever they want to go? I guess there would be no weight involved either? May sound like a dumb question, but there are still a few things I haven't done yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:45 pm 

sounds like it would work. and would be fun too. please post a report telling how it goes...