[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - hot hole
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: hot hole
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

WELL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I DONT KNOW IF ITS OVER POPULATED WITH SPOTS BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE THEY KILL THE TOURNMENT FISHERMAN CAUSE THE EAT EVERYTHING THEY SEE SO THE LARGEMOUTH DONT HAVE A CHANCE TO EAT YOUR LURE THATS WHY THE WEIGHTS HAVE WENT DOWN SO BAD CAUSE 70% OF FISH BROUGHT TO THE SCALES ARE SPOTS !! ALSO I BELIEVE THATS WHY WE DONT SEE NO MORE BLUEBACKS ANYMORE SPOTS HAVE EATEN THEM ALL...I DONT THINK IT WOULD HURT FOR PEOPLE TO EAT A FEW SPOTS THEY DO MULTIPLY ALOT FASTER THAN LARGEMOUTH !!! SO EAT UP :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

The spots are like Amigos, they've takin all the jobs from the Largemouths so now the Largemouths can't afford to eat.... Clinton put spots in Keowee!!! :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:19 pm 

well said jerkbait...i like that :-D

and i fully agree tritonman :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:18 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

That does makes sense jerbait! The reason the amigos are taking the jobs is because they work harder and do the jobs anyone else would just complain about! Thats why we have welfare i guess....

I agree with you to mike a few bass eat them! eat everything you catch destroy them!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

I think Andre should weigh in on this one :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:31 pm 

There are several things to consider about this topic. FACT: Spotted bass are a non-native species, and when non-native species are introduced into a foreign ecosystem they will either not live, or compete with native species for habitat and food. In the case of Keowee, spotted bass do compete with Largemouth for cover and food to an extent. But, it is also known that the two species tend to prefer different types of habitat, both of which are prevalent on Keowee. Due to their genetics, spots are generally more aggressive, and in a deep clear reservoir like lake Keowee they have adapted very well. Biologically, the spotted bass has had a negative impact on the reproductive success of the Largemouth due to the fact that Largemouth are now having to compete for food and spawning grounds in areas that they used to have no competition.
However, there is also another aspect to consider about the introduction and success of spotted bass that may be more positive. I have never learned of any scientific literature that proves this theory but it is my belief that Largemouth have actually benefited to some extent because of spotted bass. Because spots tend to be the higher catch ratio of "todays" anglers, the largemouth population is getting a rest from angling pressure. And for the same reason, those anglers that do keep fish to eat, are more likely to keep a higher percentage of spots.
Now my opinion....I grew up on Keowee and the fishery itself has changed dramatically over the past decade, that is no question. However, those that fished it back in the 90's know that it had it's fair share of rough days. And because of this there were fewer tournaments held on the reservoir. Since the dramatic increase of spotted bass there has been a "dramatic" increase in bass anglers. This is the epitome of a positive correlation between fish and fishermen. I agree with both sides of this argument because I am a fan of spotted bass (It's hard to argue that they have not heightened the fishery) but I also agree that you should do your part to control an non-native invasive species. (ex. Keeping a limit of spots if you want some fish to eat) However, this does not constitute the belief that you should kill every spot you catch? That is irrational and does not work to the benefit of the lake or the fishery. Basically I feel that this lake should be treated in a similar matter of every other lake in the state, obey the laws, that's why they are there...There is never an argument over whether anglers should take all the small bass out of hartwell? Just accept the fact that Keowee is different and use it to your benefit, lots of people would love to have a lake close by that had a majority of spotted bass. If you want to only catch a largemouth and don't feel like looking for them, go to a different lake, don't try and mess Keowee up for everyone else... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Well put Minnow!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

I think there is something other than keeping fish that is causing the problem on Keowee and by problem I'm referring to the average size fish caught on Keowee. There are increasing numbers of spots in Jocassee and Hartwell as well, but ths spots in those lakes seem to be growing much better than those in Keowee. Even lakes in surrounding areas such as Lanier in GA and Chatuge in Murphy, NC which have a large spot population have a much larger avg. than Keowee.
I look at this and and it makes me think there is a bait problem. Either there is an overpopulation of bass or an underpopulation of bait. That's my 2 cents...

I don't care if its a large mouth, coosa, spot or small mouth, I just enjoy catching bigger fish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:23 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

just in case anyone forgot how to dress a bass here is a good video. personally i like to use electric fillet knives on thicker keowee and hartwell largemouth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyoMd73wXc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:21 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next