[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - hot hole
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: hot hole
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:29 pm 

haha...well I hate you only managed to catch five! here's a pic of what I caught saturday

Attachments:
spots.jpg
spots.jpg [ 175.97 KiB | Viewed 10555 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:26 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

i got to take my boys friday afternoon, got them out of school for a "family emergency" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: we got to falls creek landing at 12:35 and left at 5:15 we caught 19 had 3 largemouths rest were spots. Best 5 went prolly 10 -11 lbs :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Why caint i do that in a tournament :angry: :angry: :shock: :shock: rest were LITTLE spots. We kept those little ones and turned the largemouths and the bigger spots back to fight another day. I agree with both sides of the story i think those little ones should be kept mainly to help the bait out a little and turn the bigger fish back to better the quality of fish in keowee. Now dont get me wrong keowee has some QUALITY fish in there. Remember murphys 5 fish limit that weighed like 27lbs!!! Been awhile since i saw that on any tour results!! Oh by the way friday those bigger fish we caught were spittin out 5in shad!! 1st time ive saw bait that big in awhile on keowee ive only seen the little 1-2in shad. Ever fish we caught was caught on a zoom t-rig watermelon u-tale worm in 25-40 ft of water worked down a sharp drop. Some fish were up on top of the drop ans some as soon as you got to the bottom of it they would just suck it up a swim away :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :lol: :lol: Tried a several different spoons, grubs, swimbaits, jerkbaits, and jigs but all they wanted was that worm. thats my post and im stickin to it :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:59 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Nice catch!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:17 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Ranger' .......... good job man ! It's great that you were able to get the kids out and catch some fish. Hope you took plenty of pictures. :thumbs_up:
As for spots ...... I think everyone here knows how I feel about them ...... fry them all in SC waters ...... and here's why ...

I mean Spots are a non-native species ..... just like kuzo, cogongrass, fire ants, coyotes and many other non-native invasives .............. why have them around when they are doing harm by out competing to the NATIVE species??? :hmm:

I can understand it's fun to catch fish ... but I think we as sportsman need to realize that our wants/desires to 'just catch fish' need to take a back seat sometimes to the more important things in life ...... like conserving (not preserving) the native species that make South Carolina so unique from the rest of the country.

AGAIN, Ranger' good job on a great day out with your children. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm 

Ranger...congratulations on your "family emergency" on friday, I remember when my dad used to do the same for me, and it made for some of the best childhood memories I have.

391...I couldn't agree more, the spotted bass have completely destroyed an excellent fishery in keowee, where high tournament weights were weighed on a regular basis, and now ten or eleven pounds will get you in the money in almost any tournament (with a few rare exceptions)

I am not too familiar with Russell having only fished it a few times, but I know that it seems like every year we are catching more and more spots out of Jocassee and Hartwell, and I hope people realize soon enough what the problem is, because I would hate to see both of those lakes go the way that Keowee has gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Bowhunter. Its just a matter of time before Hartwell and Jocassee go the way of Keowee.

I don't know what the problem is with keeping the fish that are caught. There are not enough fishermen to catch every fish out of a lake once a population is established. Ask the guys from DNR how many BIG fish they shock up in a large lake like Keowee that we as fishermen never see and will probably never hook.
Nope, I don't eat ANY finned craeture because the taste and smell of the cooking makes me nauseated. So ALL my fish go back.

The way a fishery gets destroyed is for non native species of animals or vegetation gets introduced either accidently or intentionally. Sometimes even the DNR does the damage.

Y'all can argue. I'm goin fishin!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 am 

I agree with you, I have degree in natural resource management and actually got to spend some time doing some electrofishing during an internship, its really interesting! but as for me I love to eat fish, and I guess it is handy that Keowee has a population of spots that for the most part you can catch year round and there always is plenty, but you have to admit it is disheartening when you spend all day catching twelve inch bass out of lake that used to produce fish so well...so I at least like to feel like i'm doing my part to keep the population in check! lol...but i know everyone has different opinions, that just happens to be mine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Some people just love using there shat stiring stick..... :hmm:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:14 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Good catch! lol keep em all your just going to make it tough on yourself! Bc when all them little ones are gone you want have nothing to catch but a good buzz!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:29 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Every one has the right to eat every fish they catch within the limit! But think about on any given day you have 20 boats on the lake if every body has that attitude and keeps 10 fish thats 200 fish per day! Not to mention all the bank fisherman who dont care and keep 30 every day out of the hot hole! you honestly think that does not kill the population? I mean 1200 fish a week going into the frying pan? They dont have that good of a spawn! The reason this pisses me off is over the past 3 years i have seen the number of bass caught go down! I mean in 05/ 06/ we could catch 75 bass a day in the winter now its down to 20-30... The weight sure as hell hasnt gone up just less fish! Its not just me as alot of regular fisherman have made the comment! If you still believe this you may want to take that degree and throw it in the trash!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm 

So is the lake overpopulated with spots RIGHT NOW or not??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:33 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

spotsticker... where on Keowee have you ever caught 75 fish in one day?

you have got to let me know where because if i can do that I'm pretty sure that would be a record, if you dont mind giving out your lil secrets ;)

119bowhunter... looks like that was a good day on the water, maybe you should take some tips from spotsticker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

all over the lake! Deep with a spoon and drop shot... But that was the good ole days... now its more like 20 30

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Same old stuff about keeping fish to eat...people have been doing it for years...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 pm 

well awicker, it depends on who you ask...according to the DNR and probably 99% of the fishermen on the lake, it is overpopulated...but spotsticker evidently knows something we don't so who knows?

stilldraggin...i may have to do that! lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next