[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - No idea!
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:36 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No idea!
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:59 pm 

I've got no idea what the fish are doing. Just wondering if anybody was having a tough time catching them. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Post subject: Re: No idea!
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:01 pm 

Shad spawn early, docks late.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 pm 

Listen to Husker. Missed it Sat (4lbs) but got them Sunday(14lbs). If you miss the bite just keep working the docks. I went through 3 limits of fish yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm 

Thanks guys. Probably going sat or sunday.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

The largemouth seem to be gorging themselves on shad right now. The shad are bundled up in big schools in open water. Biggest concentrations were on the surface off rocky points over 10 to 15 ft of water. The white bass are just tearing them up and if you watch, every once in a while something big will boil up in the middle of the school.....largemouth. I would find a large school of shad with a lot of white bass activity breaking the surface. Just followed them around as long as they stayed on the surface throwing a shallow crank (rattletrap with no rattles) and landed a largemouth about every 15 minutes. I would drag in a white bass whose stomach was bigger than its mouth about every other cast. I started this about 8am. I fished docks for the first few hours and nothing. This was Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Oh please let the White Bass wipe out the Perch!!! You guys have heard me talk about a jig and Wateree but in the 90's there was not a better Summer crankin lake than lake Wateree...the White Perch appeared and the White Bass disappeared and the Shad started staying in the coves all summer long...thus the jig bite was good all summer long but....

if the bass start back relating to the points and humps again I'll go back to crankin...how good was it in the 90's? Twice I've caught 10 bass weighing over 50 lbs on Wateree..that was the limit back then..once on a spinnerbait and the other crankin...the Red Fox at one time was held the last Sat in May with a 10 bass limit...over 45 pounds won more than once...and we finished in the top 3 a few time with 38 pounds or better...

The bass left the humps and points when the White Perch showed up...if they are gone and the White Bass come back then you will see boats full of DD-22's and DT-16's..thast just what I think but who knows..anyway I'm rooting for the White Bass to kick some White Perch butt! Another thing is I haven't seen largemouth schooling in the Summer since those damn white perch showed up!
Brett

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:07 pm 

For those of us un-educatated guys who don't know the difference between a white bass and a white perch here a little help.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/whiteperch.htm

I didn't realize there were white perch up on Wateree, thought they were a salt water breed. Will have to check closely next time I get into schooling "white bass" next time on Watereee. Thanks for the info Brett...

Ron[/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:59 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:28 am 
Jr Member
Jr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:04 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:06 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I think there are less bass in Wateree than it used to be but more bass over 4 lbs than most lakes it's size...we (Dearal Rodgers and Brett) are going to make a couple of Summer videos on Wateree in the next few weeks and put them on the Cutmaker Lures site...only thing thats changed concerning the Summer fishing is the big crankbait..other than that I think it's darn good at times...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm 

We had a tournament this weekend out of Clear water along with a club I believe was from Hartsville. We weighed-in on the shaw side of the parking lot. I came in around 3:15 and the people fishing on the piers were begging for bass from the guys letting their fish go. 1 of the guys actually gave these people some live bass to take home. There was another guy in the water with a net catching the bass that were not quickly swimming away. When we weighed in 30 min later the guy was still doing it. I told my guys to go to the end of the pier to let them go in deeper water. One of my members told the guy what he was doing was illegal. He said the guy had a cooler full of bass that he had caught with his net. DNR was all around checking the guys in the boats and were nowhere to be found while bubba-jack was net fishing for the bass. Sometimes I wonder if they even want to catch people at all. I did tell someone to go find a warden but they couldn't find one. I guess I have to much passion for the little green finned one.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:31 pm 

Bassin Tiger..Good thing I wasn't there or I would have thrown all the netted bass back when this guy wasn't looking! Then I would have shuved the net where the sun don't shine! I can see giving someone a dead fish, or 1 that's not going to make it but this guy was a definate loser! :x

Back in CT you DARE not even speak of eating a bass, even 1 legally caught. It just was the way it was. I have seen guys keeping just about everything that swims here, legal or not. If they are really that desperate to feed their families, then ok. If it's just to come home and dump em in the woods... :x

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:43 pm 

I dont have any problem with keeping fish if you have to feed your family, but people who keep them to show off and not eat them can put it where the sun dont shine. If you going to catch them catch them right. My theory is I can't kill anything I love so I dont keep any of my fish.