[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Lake Wateree! (Yesterday)
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:36 pm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had the privilage of fishing Lake Wateree, and take a little boy fome church with me! I love take kids that may have never been, or kids that don't have the privilage to be able to fish (father figure, finance, etc.) We had a great trip down, stop by McDonalds for some food, and slipped the boat in By 6:00 a.m. We got to hole number one, and about the 4th cast on a boat ramp had one run away with my shakey head. Put him in the boat, 2.5lbs. Fished around the cove, and got drilled by the brim the WHOLE TIME! Got to the other side of the bank, and switched to a wacky rig. I threw up to where there is a pier and grass together, and has a ladder right in the middle of a grass bed. I threw in there the first time, and my line swam off set hook nothing there? I figure it was a brim, so I didn't think to let my buddy to throw in there. The next cast felt a little bite and the line swam off again. I set the hook and it is a VERY NICE BASS! He runs staright got deeper water, and the post at the end of the dock. The wind blew me past the pier, and he wraped me up around the post. Instead of taking the boat in there, and since I was not in a tournament I went ahead and got on the dock and worked the fish free and lipped him. It was a good 5lbs. and maybe a little more! I decided to run to another spot up the lake, and when I got around some islands, I saw schools everywhere busting shad! We fished and fished for a while, and just couldn't get within a cast reach of the schools. I gave my little buddy a spoon to throw, and he caught a good bit of short bass, and some perch! He really enjoyed that, and the fact he caught more fish than me ! We got to the next hole after we left the schoolers, and didn't get anything there except brim bites! I went to another spot to throw the big crankbait and carolina rig w/out a single bite. It got a little warm, and he was getting a little tired of not getting bit, so I ran to the landing, and picked up a few crickets! Man did he have a blast with them! He was catching brim on about every cast, as I got to continue to help him and do a little bass fishing! After we got in a cove, and let him wear some brim out, we were in a little pocket! It has always produced brim for me and the family on previous trips, and an few bass have been baoted by me there. I bought a little swimbait from the store while we got some crickets, and I began to throw it a little before we got here. I was throwing the shakey head at this time. My buddy caught a brim, and was bringing it to the boat, and out of no where a 8lb.+ bass drills the brim bus misses him (soaking my little friend ) He is amazed, and he leaves the brim swiming around the boat, and the bass hits again and misses. I am trying to get my swimbait untangled from other rods(always happens when you run on a school of a big fish ) The bass comes in for the third time, and takes the brim and all, and about snaps the ultalight like a toothpick! The little boy was amazed. It made his day to see that, and to say we had on the biggest fish of the day! A storm beagn to come in with rain and a very needed COOL breeze. This made the bass and brim begin to feed heavily like always. He got his limit as it began to cool off and rain. I caught a few more short and small keeper fish. We decided to head back to the ramp, incase a thunderstorm showed up! Don't like to take any risk with kids in my boat! It poured as we made our way onto the mainlake making for a painful ride back to the landing. By the time we reached the landing we were soaked, so we decided to fish on. I got my shakey head in some brush and set the head on a 3lb. fish. He continued to catch brim, however they were feeding good, they swallowed his hook everytime. I threw to the bank, and thought I was getting a brim bite, but it swam a little and I set the hook to the last keeper of the day, as he swallowed the shakey head. Overall is was a great day for the "DOG DAYS of the Summer". We both had a blast, and before I got him home he was wanting to make another time for me to take him! I know I cannot fully fish hard with kids in the boat for worrying about thier safety, and taking fish, tying and teaching them to learn to tye knots, how to take fish off the hooks, proper way to hold the rod, and cast etc. I got to catch fish, and most importantly HE CAUGHT FISH and wants a repeat trip! That is the main goal anyways! I can't wait for the next oppurnity to go with a youngster, and let them try out the wiggle rig! God Bless! Take the kids with you next time, and catch the BIG ONES!
Steven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dude! An 8+ bass. Thats huge for wateree. I've never had a bass do that to a brim. They probably will though. Thanks for taking the kid fishing. God bless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 pm 

When we got to the pocket, I saw brim jumping out the water (being chased). I know where she lives now lol. I have 2 tournaments the last 2 weekends of this month, and another one next month. I thinking I may be able to get her in the boat for one of them! :wink: I know there are not many fish in Wateree over 8, but there are a bunch of 4-6 pounders. My buddy has seen a good bit of big fish on the beds in Wateree. God Bless!
Steven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:38 pm 

Fishing there for the first time this saturday night and sounds like it is going to be nuts. Confused, are you saying they are still on the beds down there? What are the areas I should target this time of year? Thanks