[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Lake Wateree!
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:35 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake Wateree!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:22 pm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got the chance to go back to Wateree to practice for a upcoming night tournament. Called up one of my firends from church to fish with me. He hasn't fished in a long time, so I wanted to let him catch a few. By the time we ate, and got some snacks and put-in, it was 3:30 a.m. We fished close to ramp, so I could wait on one of my friends to try a wiggle rig. We ended up running down the lake toward Beaver Creek, to fish a few piers. We had a hard time finding a lighted pier that somebody wasn't fishing from! We fished a few with only brim bites! About 5:15 we got to a pier that had rock's around the bank, and I tossed the big worm by the rock and got a thump. I set the hook and nothing was there? (I figured it may have been another brim) I casted back and got a thump and I set the hook on a decent keeper. I wish I knew that first one was a bass so my buddy could have caught him. That was the only fish of the night! About daylight all you could see was bassboats running both ways up and down the lake! It was a sight to see boats 4 wide and approaching boats that was 4 or 6 wide! That was why I left a little early to get to my early morning spot! We got to a little pocket I like to fish off the main lake, and started fishing. My buddy was ready for breakfast, and started to eat some good ol' crispy cream donuts! I told him he may want to consider fishing (if I don't catch a few fish from this spot, I know it will be a long day!) Fished around a pier, and the brim were out of control on my worm. Beside the pier is a boat ramp, tossed up on it and set the hook on another keeper. (Let my buddy reel him in). Fished the rest of the bank with brim only bites! Got to the other side and didn't get another bass bite! (I knew it was going to be a tough day then!) Went to my favorite creek on the lake, and it had at least 2 boats on each side of the creek! I ended up catching a fish on both banks. Both just were 12&14 inch fish. Saw a guy catch one more fish on the bank accross from us looked to be in the 2 lb. range. I left that spot, and looked for some deeper water. We were getting so many brim or perch bites it was pathetic! I then threw to the bank and got a thump (thinking it was another brim the fish burned me up coming to the boat) set the hook and no fish or worm! I figured this was a better fish. I will pick her up next week! We made it to the last spot of the day, and I run in to my buddy who is trolling. He reported that he heard they pulled water and the bite was a little tougher than it should have been! I ended up getting one more fish on a point (which was the biggest I got to the boat) 2+. I was a little upset that my buddy didn't get to get a fish, but he reeled in 2 I set the hook on. He told me at the end of the day, that he thinks he finally caught on to how to present the worm! The most important thing was he asked "When are you going to take me again?" That made my day a whole lot better! The trip wasn't the best, but I eliminated some spots and water, so that was good, and I got on a little pattern that hopefully will work for me the next two weeks that I have tournaments! I didn't get to fish the wiggle rig,(since I didn't get up with my friend at the end of the day), but when I got home I got my package from Mr. Long!! I think I may slip off this afternoon and fish with them, if the storms don't roll in! My buddy had a good day. His wife had a good many fish on the shakey head, but came unbuttoned on the way to the boat! He said he flipped a jig all day, looking for the big bites, and got a stud in the 5 lb. class! Can't wait for the next trip to try the wiggle rig!!! Good Fishing! God Bless!

Steven

Post subject: Re: Lake Wateree!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:57 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

That was a great report. Keep up the good work and take your buddy fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

( :mrgreen: hey Softy, your not coaching..STB24, are you? :mrgreen: )

STB24...just kidding and glad you and your friend had a good time..maybe you can make the Aug Forums tx if it winds up on Wateree!
PM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:33 pm 

I would love to be able to fish with the guys on this board! Since I live in Santee-Cooper Country, it is a long haul to make a trip, since the majority is from the up-state. God Bless!
Steven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:48 pm 

All this talk about 3:30 and 5:30 makes me tired. I hope their worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:55 am 

They are not worth it! Night fishing is just to UNNATURAL for me! I guess since I am a little younger, I would much rather fish the heat of the day, anytime over fishing an night. But you have to do what you are handed, either way it is always fun! God Bless!
Steven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:03 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

:hmm: :hmm: Nope, not coaching him Nutman. If I was coaching him he would not have been near a bank and would not have been fishing lighted Boat docks. He would have been fishing drops and contours draggin a Big old Worm that Brim would be scared to get near or a Jig that would make a 2 pound bass shutter at the sight of it......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love night fishing but it does require some bait and technique changes that many anglers don't do or don't know to do. Many anglers fish the same baits at night they fish in the day time and some times that will work but most times not. When I approach a night tournament or just going night fishing I go Black or Black Grape in soft baits and with jigs it;s Black/Blue combos and on Spinner baits it's Short Arm Single # 6 Black Nickel Blade on 3/8 or 1/2 oz Black and Purple Skirts and a Black Grape trailer slow rolled across points, not up and down points but across beginning shallow and working to deep till I find the fish. Once I locate them I will catch all the aggressive ones on the blade and then switch to something slow for the finicky and many times larger fish.............. :hmm: That is my night fishing approach most of the time........... :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:35 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:08 am 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:49 am