[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - What catches fish in January?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:45 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Hi. I have been reading the forum here for a day or two now and decided to make my first post. I hit Wateree this past Saturday with the wife and we both slung our favorite chartreuse Norman crankbaits for about three hours and nothing. We hit shallow water, deep water, rocky water, stumpy water, and came up empty handed. We stuck to the lower end of the lake, within sight of Clearwater. What are you guys catching fish on this time of year?

I was reading through your reports from early December and it sounds like crankbaits have been doing pretty good. Got a favorite make/color for winter fishing? Any recommendations for jig color? I have to hit on something soon as the wife looses interest quick with fishing this slow. Now that I have her going with me, I don't want to ruin her before summer gets here. Thanks! Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:14 pm 

First Of all Welcome to the site. :-D Fishing at wateree has been pretty good and you were throwing the right CB in almost the right color but the fish were hard on docks in 8 to 15 foot of water last time I was up there, We threw the Norman Little N in the #90 firetiger and slow cranked it around docks. Brett (CATT DADDY) Collins will get on here I am sure and let you know the only thing to sling this time of year is a jig :P and he is probably right for the bigger fish but I go for the numbers. Besides that I stink with a jig. Hope you and the Misses tear them up on your next trip.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks for the reply. We will probably head back this coming Saturday and give it another go since the weather will be nice and everyone says the bite is really good right now. I am not much of a jig man either, but I sure would like to hear what jig/color/areas have been working so I can practice with decent odds of catching something. Again, thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:11 am 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Just thought of another question. When your using a jig/pig, do you match your trailer color to your jig? For instance, do you use a crawdad trailer when using a crawdad jig or would you use a completely different color trailer all together?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:37 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

#8 Crawdad Shad Rap is real good right now but as Ron said if you want a few bites but most of the time bigger fish then fish a jig...and match your jig and trailer 90% of the time...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

NBC starts up at Murray Feb 10...and I haven't been on the water since December...hope they are where they usually are...givce me a call if you want osme jigs...I'm not home much...got to work early and get home late..
call me anytime...803-413-7521...right now I got a fair amount but running low...

Brett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:51 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

You can always count on Brett to actually be honest and tell you what the fish are biting. :thumbs_up:
Ive only lived in SC for a year and a half and we fished a CATT (on Wateree). He puts on a great tournament. I wondered why there were only 20-something boats, but then after talking to a few people, they try to steer clear of CATT because 'man you would just be a donater'....I dont understand why someone would be afraid of anyone like that? Anyone can be beaten at any time on any lake. DUH. And yeah, I know who the Wateree studs are, and YEAH I have put great thought into how and what I can fish to compete with them....and...Yeah we sucked in the one CATT we fished but we will be back in 08! :thumbs_up:
BTW...if you dont have 15+ you might as well not weigh in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm 

Brett does a great job with the tourney's he puts on and Brett has always been there to help out other fishermen with fish catching techniques. He even does it when your on the water fishing against him. You gave great Kudo's to Brett then scared eveyone off telling them they need 15+ lbs or don't weigh in. Check the results pages of the Catt Trail. 2 0f the 4 Spring Qualifiers it took less than 13 Lbs to win. As the water warmed the sacks grew. The summer sacks were also big, then in the fall the weight's dropped only 1 15 + lb sack was weighed in out of 4 qualifying tournaments. The same people fished these tournaments and each tournament had different results. As you said this is fishing and you just never know what might happen when you drop that line in the water. I'd take lucky over good on tournament day. I have been a donor for years but someday I will have my lucky rabbits foot and it will be game on.
See you on the Water.

BT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:35 am 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Well, we gave it a shot again on Saturday. Sure was a nice day to be out on the water. I threw my usual Norman chartreuse/green pepper and the wife threw the recommended Shad Rap in Crawdad. Fishing docks on the lower end of the lake, I picked up one nice 3+ on the Norman and the wife picked up one small +or- 1.5lb on the Shad Rap. We didn’t hit the water until noon (the wife doesn’t like the cold) and was only planning on being out for about 4 hours, so I never did try a worm or jig. Clearwater's ramp was open and had a good crowd and there was a tournament running out of one of the landings up the lake (so I was told). The few folks I ran into on the water wasn't doing very good either. Tell me it was slow for everyone else too. lol