[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Downtown smallies
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:51 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downtown smallies
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:57 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Me and a buddy went out to do some wading Friday morning. We went to the river walk by the Gervais street bridge in downtown Columbia. That's right where the Saluda and the Broad rivers flow together to form the Congaree river. We crossed over to the Broad river side, (the Columbia side) and went looking for some bronze backs.

I took my buddy in there last year and put him on his first smallie. Needless to say he's addicted to those little brown fish.

We loaded up the ultralite gear, some roostertails, small Rapala's, some small Terminator spinnerbaits, and of course some small topwater baits. I was actually throwing a slightly larger topwater bait in an attempt to catch a larger fish, but was mainly playing the role of guide for my buddy. He was wearing me out in the numbers department beings he was throwing the small stuff. His largest of the day was 1lb 10oz. He caught several (10 or so) in the 1lb to 1 1/2lb range. But me being the Jedi Master that I am ( :roll: ), I had to step up and show him how to catch the biggens.

The big girl weighed 4lbs 12oz. She is the largest SC smallie I've ever caught and it's only 1lb 5oz from my best ever, which i caught in MD. My previous best from SC came from nearly the same spot of the rive and it weighed just a hair over 3lbs. I caught it last year.

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

[img][img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/archer8030/Fishing%20pics/IMG_0483_1.jpg[/img]

[/img]

(no fish were harmed during the making of these memories...and all were released)

Post subject: Re: Downtown smallies
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:14 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Nice going, Archer! We were just talking about hitting the river near Columbia. Looks like we will have to give it a shot soon. Keep those reports comin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:06 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Super nice smalljaws. Like Drew said, now I know I'm going to try it out. Cola is a lot closer to Ache'n then Gaffme is, LOL ! ! ! !

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:20 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Give me a heads up when you go. I'd be glad to steer you in the right direction. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:50 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Nice job....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:33 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Its remarkable that the smallies are doing as well as they are. Does anybody know if they have stock them any where other than Cherokee County? I haven't found anything saying where they have but since they are being found in Lake Monticello and all the way down to Columbia somethings working for them.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 am 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:11 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:22 pm 

That does it :lol: I've been driving over the bridge frequently wondering if it was worth a shot. I grew up wading the tributaries of lake erie fishing for the bronze back. Maybe I can renew some good old memories. Which Rapala works best?

great pics,
Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:17 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Guess this gives me yet another reason to want to get back to school. How deep was the section of the river that the fish were comin out of?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:33 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Black and gold or black and silver Rapala's work well, as well as top water and small spinnerbaits.

There are some deep holes, but for the most part, the water I wade is now more than belly-button deep, and I'm six feet tall.

You have to keep an eye on the level though. Like this morning, SCE&G were pulling water overnight and the river was still a little too high this morning, but it was on it's way down. If it's high, it can be a bit dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:33 pm 

Gave the river a try this past weekend and had a blast. Started around 10 or so in the morning and fished until 3, caught 12-15 smallmouth and a couple of lm. All fish were small, largest fish was only 13 inches but they made up for lack of size in their fight. Caugt all of them on a variety of topwaters (small popper was the best). Had one real nice lm (3-4lbs) on but lost it as I was working it in, got to enjoy a couple of jumps out of it first though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:27 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Hey Archer, I live in Gilbert and have never seen or caught a smallie. Been thinking about taking a trip upstate for them, didn't know they were down this far. Can you catch them often or is it just certain times. I am very intrested and would appreciate any info or advice you could give me. Thanks

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:42 pm 

I went for the first time last Sunday and me and a friend of mine caught 19 smallies and 2 largemouth. I caught a smallie about 3lbs. It was very fun. If you go, please release these fish. This is a very good thing that they have there and if everyone starts keeping the fish, it will not be able to take that kind of abuse. Have fun and catch a bunch.