[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Fluke fishing methods
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fluke fishing methods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:37 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Hey guys-------what is your favorite way to fish a fluke :?:

Colors----white pearl
Hook/size----wide-gap gammie--5/0 and 4/0
rod/reel------6.5/medium-heavy, casting-------high speed abu garcia
Line size----15 lb. big game-----with 12in. leader
Fast along the top of the water---------and hold on :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 pm 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Wait till Jan to throw flukes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pearl White or Blue shad
2/0 or 3/0 owner straight shank
6'6" MH extra fast taper-Shimano Chronarch MS
12 or 15 lb McCoy Mean Green with 15 lb leader
skip on top, JB retrieve under surface or just let it sink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:33 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

Tennessee Shad,
Bleeding Silver Thunders,
Glimmer Blue,
Bleeding White Pearl
6.6 MedHvy H&H Fast Taper slowtip action
17 pound Sufix lemon Green line
3/0 or 4/0 Owner Cutting Point Offset worm hooks
Floating on top and twitching slightly imitating wounded minnow, Using heavy wire hooks to make bait suspend and twitch slightly such as dead sticking, Use a finishing nail in nose to add weight to nose to get nose down action and C-rigging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:10 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

Put big hook in....cast out...miss fish & CUSS!!!!

Pearl white or Blue Glimmer 5/0 offset Owner w/ #5 swivel about 18" up. 16# Tourney Green Ande 7' MH rod w/ 4600C4. looking forward to try'n some rigged like Mr. Hale rigs his. I really struggle w/ a Fluke I do lots better w/ a 127 pointer!!! CYA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:56 am 

I guess I need to ask another dump question and this is kinda embarassing :oops: :oops: since I have been making Flukes and catching probably hundreds of fish on them each year for past several years (BUT why do ya'll put swivels and leaders on your Fluke Rigs :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:) JoJo, that may be why your missing them and cussing. That small piece of line between your tag end and the bait will cause alot of missed hooksets on floating baits like Flukes and Floating worms. When you first react to the strike and set the hook all of the hookset power ends at the swivel for a second until the swivel reacts and takes up leader slack and that is where the fish gets off. I have never put a leader on my Flukes and my hook set ratio on Fluke strikes is about 90%. The 10% I miss are the ones that strike the bait as soon as it hits the water on a weedline or treetop laydown and can't get ready to set hook with strike that un expected in most cases. :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:46 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I use the swievel to prevent line twist-----------same with a floating worm------but you have my curiosity up :idea: if this might be a reason for some missed hook-ups :?: :?: most of the articles that I have read, say that setting the hook to quick, is the main reason for the missed fish :?: -----but if you feel the fish, he's got to have it in his mouth, cause he don't have no hands :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Monk :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:52 pm 

Got to agree with Softy on this. Get rid of the swivel. I don't even use them on my floating worm rig anymore, except when I rig a double floating worm rig.

My rig for flukes is:

St. Croix 6'6" Med/fast action.
Shimano Curado 6:2 Spooled with #15 P-Line CX Premium
Hookerz 4.5/0 or 5.5/0 Flippin Hook. Hook size depends on how fast I want it to sink.
I rarely work a fluke on the top. The Hookerz Flippin hooks allow the bait to fall horizonally, and looks more like a injured/dying minnow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:17 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

I started use'n a swivel 'cause I was told to....by the Fluke pros!! LOL I'm just to quick to jerk or to slow to feel. Which puzzels me to no end, I do really good w/ a Trick worm, but I use a 6' stiff Spinny Pole for it and almost never use a swivel. CYA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:10 pm 

Ok, did some talking with some of the folks that have been using my Flukes either mine, Zooms and Gamblers and several of the other soft jerk baits on the market that have been fishing them ever since the Slugo was invented and all of these other baits followed. They all gave me the same answer and I think I have narrowed the field down for the swivel reasoning and it does come down to line twist and all have admitted that they do miss alot of fish strikes on Flukes. There was and still is a problem with line twist if you fish any of these baits on Spinny outfits which I don't. I fish all of my baits on Bait casting Level Wind reels. The reason was back years ago Bait casters were not advanced enough to be able to throw light baits. Since Bait casters have evolved into the fine reels they are today most folks have NOT evolved with the reels. They are still fishing Flukes and Floating worms on Spinny outfits and need the swivels. I can get as much distance throwing a fluke on my Curado SF's or Chronach SF's as a guy will with a spinny outfit and have far more hook setting ability. Santeerangerman, I have never thrown a twin floating worm rig cause I have never see worms school or travel in pairs.......... :lol: :lol: but I often do throw the twin fluke rigs and even done a three fluke rig around boat docks because minnows do school and that can get you in trouble fast if there are more than one bass under the dock and one of them is large.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Have not had a triple yet but have had a alot of doubles with that rig in jumps and around docks........ :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best hush before I give folks ideas........... :roll: :roll: :roll:
softy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:59 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

i found that the deeper you put the hook in the head the higher it will run . If you insert the hook about 1/8 inch into the head it will cause it to dart under about a foot or so I also leave my hook exposed on the flat side and dye the tail Bend the fluke toward the eye and insert the hook so it lays straight and it will have no line twist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:28 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

Baitcaster for Fluke.....Spinnypole for Trick worm. Trick worm is fished in a differnt kind of place, still think a good LC JB will beat a Fluke {any Brand}in open water......

I don't care how good you are w/ the best baitcaster ever made a good Spinny pole is IT for a Trick Worm CYA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:33 pm 

JOJO, I will admit that I will not throw a Trick worm Wacky style on one because the wind messes with it but I will fish a trick worm just like a fluke along wood and weed lines and in skinny water...... :roll: I don't even own a spinny rod for bass fishin....... :roll: I got one I use for Crappie fishin in the Fall and Spring......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:58 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

Softy why LIMIT yourself. Modern top Quaility Spining tackle is good stuff & I enjoy use'n it and don't feel I'm under gunned.

I think this no Spinny pole stuff came out before their was any good Spinners out. {dang that's got a familier ring to it.}.... LOL

I'm waiting on the "spoon bite" now CYA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:03 pm 

Well JOJO, I use to have a few spinny poles and they were good outfits like Mitchell's but I just could not get the power in the hook sets that I need because I don't have the upper body strength I once had so I just get better hook sets with Trigger rods and baitcasters. I don't knock folks for using spinny rods. There are times I wish I could for skipping under docks and such but I just have to pass on that type of fishing........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:40 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Hey hey hey now, yall lay off my friend JoJo and his fluke rig... Like he said he rigs it that way cause "I" told him to. See a fluke is not a target bait, it is an open water reaction bait. I use the HiSpeed 7.3 : 1 reel, 7' AllStar m action rod and 12 lb Izorline, and it's not as fast as i'd like it to be.... At that speed if you do not have a swivel you will develope line twist which will cause the line to break at hook set. I'll let you in on a little secret. Schooling fish draw schooling fish.... I use the shinny gold swivels about 12 to 18" up from the fluke. I gives off flash and appears to be a small bait fish being chased by a bigger bait fish and will in turn draw fish up..... I want that bait moving so fast the fish don't get a good look at it. I want a strike as a pure reaction to what's going on around them. they typically set the hook themselves...........