[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - senkos
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: senkos
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:00 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

How do you fish senkos :?: I have a few but can't get a bite on one.Are thay worth learning or am i wasting my time :?: please help :angry:

Post subject: Re: senkos
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:30 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

Hey Slick, Senko baits covers a large span of the bait world. GYB was the first one to introduce the baits and since then they have been copied buy about every bait company around in some shape form or fashion so if you have that many bait companies putting that much effort forward to copy a bait you can bet the bait is worth fishing. Berkley has the Yum Dingers, Wave Worm has the Tiki Sticks, GYB has the Senko's, I have the Danny B's Stick Baits and there are two or three others out there also making them.
Yes they are worth learning to fish with because they do produce a lot of bass in the livewells. Some folks prefer the 4 inch and some the 5 or 6 inch. My preference is the 5 inch. That is the size I use mostly in the Danny B's. I prefer mine over the GYB because GYB adds fillers in his bait so it will sink without a weight added and it gives his bait a pulsating look as it sinks horizontally to the bottom. The YUM baits sink pretty much in the same fashion as GYB but a little slower so some anglers will add a nail weight to get it down quicker. The Wave Worm Tiki Sticks sink very slowly and folks Texas Rig those with a light bullet weight in most cases. My Danny B's will actually float so I T-Rig mine unless I am going to fish it wacky style or use it as a twitch bait around weeds and then I fish it weedless and weightfree.
Some folks will Carolina rig the Yum Dingers and Wave Worms and Danny B's because of the slow fall or the ability to float off the bottom. The GYB Senkos don't work to well on C-Rigs because they lay on the bottom.
Now the techniques used to fish the baits vary considering the water color and the water depth. I T-rig mine 90% of the time with a 3/16 oz Tungston weight with 3/0 hook and will swim the bait in water over 5 feet deep for about 3 feet and then allow it to fall back to the bottom and wait a few seconds to see if it gets hit. If it does not get hit I will swim it and let it fall again. If that retrieve does not work I will drag it along the bottom about 3 feet and then pause it for sometimes as long a 30 seconds before moving it again. Be sure that when you move it that you don't feel anything mushy as you begin to move it and if you do set the hook imediately. Sometimes the bass will just flare his gills and suck it in and hold it trying to decide whether to eat it or reject it without you ever detecting the hit. It is a great finesse bait when fish are finicky or when they are aggressive. I hope I have been able to help and if you have any more questions please don;t hesitate to ask.
Thanks and have a great day
Softy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:39 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Just spent 4 days at lake Gaston fishing them weightless with a 5/0 hook. Cast out beyond stump/ brush, let sink to the bottom, work slowly like Carolina rig across bottom, over stump, I generally always "deadstick" them like this.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:20 am 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks for the info.I think the brands I have are tiki sticks&kicker fish-shad sticks.Mabe i'm using the wrong color (green pumpkin) in stained water?what colors are best? :hmm:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:25 am 

I am familar with the Tiki Sticks but not the Shad Sticks and GreenPumpkin Pepper is a good color for stained water depending on how much stain you are talking about. GreenPumpkin is my go-to color when all else fails because I know it will get a fish or two. I use Black Grape, Smoke Purple Flake, Red Shad Black w/ blue flake alot. I think Wave worm has a Tiki Stick that is marbled in Black/Blue. It might be a bait to try in stained water. You might want to try a Tiki Stick on a Shakey head or Spot Remover also as my partner has had great success with both of those combinations. Try to stay with Opague colors for stained water. Transparent baits make it difficult for the bass to locate the outline of the bait they are trying to locate with their lateral lines. cooters idea on the dragging it slowly past a stump or brush pile it good also. When ever your dragging a bait of any kind on the bottom and it strikes a piece of structure or cover on the bottom always pause the baits there for 15 to 20 seconds and then shake it lightly and let it pause a few second before shaking it loose from the structure and be very alert when you do shake it loose because many many times that is when the srtike will occur. The bass may have been sitting right there looking at it and not hit it until he thinks it is going to escape and then it will strike. Hope this helps you in your goals to become a better stick bait angler. Above all things you need in fishing any baits is CONFIDENCE in it. These baits do account for many bass being caught each day so develope the confidence in this bait you have on other soft baits you catch fish on now and you will catch fish on these also.
Softy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:50 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks softy :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:32 am 

for stained water i use green and white senko

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:34 pm 

Far and away my most productive lures. I use the GYB Senko's in the 5 inch on a t-rig, weightless, and wacky. I use the 4 inch on a drop shot with a 1/0 offset worm hook. They produce fish on every lake i've fished them on. They're not necessarily a numbers bait either, as many large fish fall victim to these do nothing baits. They are definitly worth the time to learn. The biggest thing to remember is to have patience, let the bait do the work. Good luck and tight lines! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:54 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks bassman I need all the help I can get :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:09 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Me personally they are awesome dead sticking wacky. If no bite you jerk it upwards once and let it dead stick again. Watch your line on the fall many times they'll take it. I like the BG, GP, and B/R flakes colors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:40 pm 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:24 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:13 pm