[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Fish Following a Spinnerbait
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:40 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Having a lot of fish following my SB this year but not hitting it. I usually switch to another lure like a floating worm and sometimes get a fish, but what do I need to change on my SB? Speed, color, blade size?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:51 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

LOL @ your signature COOTER-TURTLE ..................... that's :lol: right there !

Back to your question. I think all that you mentioned are good things to try, I'd try them one at a time to learn what the deciding factor is that they are not liking. Might be something as simple as changing from white to blue glimmer, or 3/8 to 1/4, gold/silver to all gold or all silver, slow up on the retrieve or maybe speed it up (they might be getting too good a look at it). Just remember if you speed up you might have to drop line size or go to a heavier weight to keep the bait down. Might also want to try a trailer (split tail or curly tail). Just make sure you got a trailer hook on reguardless since you got fish fallowing already.

Maybe JoJo will be in here later on and be able to give you some good advice ........ after all he's a spinnybait chunkin' main-ee-yak :wink:

Good Luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:17 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

Silly NC fish probily don't know to BITE IT!!! Are you sure they are Bass?? I thought the NC state fish was a Buffalo Carp. Ain't that why all the good NC bassers {All 3 of them} come to SC to fish??

Not sure what spinny bait your throw'n but if it's FULL sized one try a SOB Mini-Me. That Smaller profile and high speed should fool some, but why worry Cooter we'll let you "count" the follows LOL CYA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:26 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

JoJo it is one of the "lavender shad" spinny baits we got. All my fish except one came on the Lavender shad DLN. A little bit odd. I am thinking it may be those blades are just too much in clear water where I have been fishing it. I didn't think of the MM. I am trying that Saturday for my TX. I tried a Hawg Caller three bait thinking smaller blades may help - but nothing. So that SB is just that close but they won't hit it. Buffalo Carp won't eat it either. LOL

Thanks for counting the follows - but too hard to guess weight :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:31 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

That's what the Mini-Me is made for....if you're use'n a Dbl. bladed bait try one w/ a single.....Faster and less flash....Keep after them you'll figure it out about the time the fish change! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:29 pm 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

Changing fishing partners will probably help ya the most.

We won't have a problem with them NC fishes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:03 pm 

i would try a different color first or even a trailer. if that doesnt get it try a smaller spinnerbait. make sure you also try going a little bit slower. they will some times want the bait but cant catch it. i found that out the hard way. i would get excited and start to reel it real fast. i could see the fish following it but they wouldnt touch. so try a few and get back with us to let us know how it worked out with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:34 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

Well, I don't throw blade baits to often but was having some follow mine also but wouldn't hit it. I asked a buddy of mine that chunks spinner baits alot and his input helped me alot. He asked me what color I was throwing and I told him gold willows with white head and chartruse and white Skirts. His suggestion was to switch to a black bait with black twin tail trailer and Black nickle Indiana blades. Well I was a little thrown by the suggestion but this guy catches a lot of fish on blades so I went to Hoppys and had them make me 10 baits and he described. Five 3/8th and five 1/4 ounce and to my surprise I began catching fish on them fairly often. I gues it was a combination of the different vibration and the fact that they could not get a good look at the bait and hit it.
Just my 2 cents worth
softy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:25 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Thanks softy - I am thinking I have too much color/flash/vibration like you say. Hopefully the MiniMe or the black SB I have will fix it.i

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:16 am 

Bored to death so going back and doing some followups. cooter, did you ever get that follow but not hit spinner bait problem solved or did you just give up on it :?: Just curious, Thanks softy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:05 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

The following weekend I switched to a GP chatterbat and they that. I never did get them to hit an SB - something in my presentation, but I don't know what.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 pm 

No doubt changing blade colors and skirt combs will help..probably the most. And I love the Mini Me's especialy in olive green. But when the bass are following the SB, give that rod tip a little "pop" or let it flutter (change the action) a bit and those bass will hit about every time...out of reaction. I think they are waiting for that.