[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Slow Rolling Spinnerbaits?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:12 pm 
Wire Bait Moderator
Wire Bait Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:46 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:50 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

I like 7' MH or Heavy 15#-20# line.
I use 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz. Mostly a shad pattern or Blue/Chart/White. Colorodo in cooler water, willow in warmer water. Vary blade size to "fit" the situation. Have done really well w/ a 3/4oz w/ a 4.5 blade....really hugs the bottom. But I'll throw a #7 if the baits running big.
Yes on bottom and very near cover
All year but I do best at about 50WT on into summer time. Almost always use a plastic trailer when I slowroll..... CYA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:08 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Here's a tip...
pretend like you are carolina rigging it, instead of using your reel....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:21 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator
Soft Body Baits Moderator

Slow rolling a spinner bait was one of the most difficult ways of fishing I ever had to learn. I would always wind up retrieving it way to fast. I finally got a buddy of mine that was notorious for his ability to slow roll them and he took me out several times and finally got me able to do it but not like most folks would believe. After two days of frustrating my buddy he showed up the next day at my house with some new spinner baits in 3/8 ounce with a single Colorado blade. He went through my boat until he found the rod he wanted to use and then the reel he wanted me to use and he created a new combo rod and reel for me to use. I was amazed at how easy it was once I had the right equipment to do it with. He chose a 7 foot medium action rod with a fast tip and your not ready for this but a 3.8.1 cranking reel which has a very slow retrieve regardless of how fast you reel it. During long casts in 10 foot water I was banging the spinner bait off everything on the bottom unless I held the rod tip very high and burned my hand out trying to turn the reel fast enough to get the bait off the bottom. Since then I have got a new outfit for spinner baiting slow rolling which I still seldom do but I am using a 7 foot rod but went to a 4.1.1 reel and can still keep the bait banging cover and structure on the bottom and catch fish. Just thought I would share my experience learning it. Probably wouldn't work for most folks that fish blade baits alot but works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:06 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

i use a 6'6'' procaster w/ johnny morris reel
15lb big game
i use a white 3/8oz hildebrandt almost always w/ tandem blades
i use it when the fish are backed off just barely too deep for the cranks i usually fish (they dive to around 6ft).
i just chuck it out there and pop the rod to start the blades and turn the reel handle just fast enough to keep the blades spinning.
you have to make a conscious effort not to jerk everytime u hit brush bc when you crawl it through the brush or hit the lip of the dropoff is when the fish are gonna pick it up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:14 am 

:thumbs_up: Thanks Guys I'm learning :hmm: something new :lol: and plan on trying it soon. God bless all in 2007!
B&J NC :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Thanks Guys,
I haven't fished the sb in quite a long time. Just about forgot the little details of slow rolling (like the rod selection). It never hurts to here the basics again.