SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling Motor Batteries
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 pm 

Alright, I am redoing my Jon Boat and I have a couple wiring questions. I am going to run a 24v Motorguide Tour on the front of the boat, and I am on a tight budget (I am currently borrowing the trolling motor) I have 2 Car Cranking batteries, I am wanting to hook up the trolling motor to those batteries, would it hurt anything? I sure don't want to burn up the trolling motor or anything! Also I have a pair of lights that I want to hook up to one of the batteries, would that mess up the circuit or anything? Somebody told me of I wanted to do that I would have to plug the positive to one battery and the negative to the other battery? Help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

No it won't hurt anything but your run time on the water will not be very long. A car cranking battery is just for that. Cranking. Deep Cycle batteries are the way to go, they are made to be used for long periods. To hook up your TM, you will need to connect the positive wire to one battery, then run a jumper wire from the negative terminal on that battery to the other batteries positive terminal. Then the negative lead from the trolling motor to that batteries negative terminal. You should also install a 50 amp circuit breaker on the positive lead/terminal. So your circuit should look something like this.

TM--------RED-----circuit breaker----+Batt 1-===jumper====+ batt 2-=====|
|============NEGATIVE==============================|

You can connect a light to either battery just not both.