[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Hot voltage regulator
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot voltage regulator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 pm 

Had my voltage regulator heat up on lake friday. Smoke was coming out of engine cover. DC the start batt. and smoke stopped. Made it back to landing on trolling motor only about a mile back. Any one had this happen to there motor before?

Checking on price and found one on line at boatparts.com Any one had any dealing with them bad or good? Best price that I have found $184.50

Thanks For Any Info. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its not completly uncommon for it to happen. I would check you battery for a dead cell. Something had to cause it...

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:38 am 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

I've read about this voltage regulator burnt up happening before. Never knew what caused them to burn up though. I just figured it went bad and burnt up. So is it the battery going away that causes them to fry or what? Had the wires going to the trolling motor short out and smoke the boat up really bad once. It was a buddies boat and he had no fuses or circuit breakers on the TM wires and smoke was rolling out of the whole boat, rod lockers, storage areas, fuel tank battery storage area and everywhere. That just scared the crap out of me too........LOL. RM

It's only a gambling problem if you lose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No the battery is not the cause in all cases it just one of the things to eliminate..lol

It could be a wire that is grounding out on the side of the block or it could have been that it just went bad.

I usually double check everything that could have caused it so your not spending another 200.00 2 months later..:wink:

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:12 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

He forgot to mention the tach quit working. :wink: sure sign. The explanation I got back a long time ago is there is a certain amount that the engineers design in them and that is put into it when they make em. sounds like he let the smoke out!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:24 pm 

Thanks CM For the info. Do you know any thing about boatparts.com found a good price on regulater for my model :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:52 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

i had the same problem about 2 years ago. i found a wire had rubbed on the inside of the motor cover. after fixing the wire my voltage regulator was fine. might want to check before you replace it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:52 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

I only use BPP parts but if you can save $$ and it has a warranty get it. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:05 am 

Just wandering something, if you found out what the rated current was for the voltage regulator and put a fuse in series with it, would that be a good idea to protect this expensive part from shorts. I wander why it isn't fused anyway? I will check on that, might be a good idea to add this fuse or breaker. This idea comes from my experiances at work with letting the magic smoke out of parts.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dont think that will work. Each fuse has a certain amount of resistance. The resistance may may cause problems. I have never tried it but again these parts are not cheap.

Maybe get it fixed w/ the correct new part & then watch e-bay for a spare that you can expeiment with.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:01 pm 

Sorry about that. I am not familiar with the circuit. But I do know on all voltage regulators the input voltage is always highier than the out. So having a voltage drop of several hundred milliohms by a fuse placed on the input side really should not effect the circuit. Once again I need to research the circuit. Might turn out to be some good info. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:20 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

Steve,
Don't matter, I test everything before it goes on. But OMC/BRP VR's are sealed. A few things exicte them a bad ground and low H20 pressure (they are H20 cooled). Usually a good indication one on a F/S is they smoke and they do. The other thing is the tach goes crazy all of a sudden. They BPR have corrected this problem on the new VR's and have removed the Purple wire on it. Just some info on a OMC electrical system.