SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:49 am 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

About 4 years ago a fellow could pull his boat over to Lake Summit (near Hendersonville and Flat Rock) and do a little fishing but not anymore. The Homeowners association has decided that its just too inconvenient to LET other on THEIR lake. After all these folks are FISHING The RICH folks have water skiing boats and the FISHING folks might be in their way. AND of course, THEY don't belong if they live OUTSIDE of the Green River Fire District. That even excludes those that live in Hendersonville County let alone Buncombe County that includes Asheville.

They did this kind of gradual so there would be fewer protests and now they have changed the GATE key and ALL except the resident of the fire district are excluded.

The question is where was DUKE POWER and THE NC GAME COMMISSION when this was going on. This water is not the exclusive possession of a few but all of us.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reversing this decision to exclude all fishermen from what should be public waters. Lake Lure is already exclusively limited to the local property owners via their $500 lake use fee. Can L. Nantahala be next, How about Fontanna? Why not Jocassee as its is regulated by Duke too. I am sure the folks that own property on Lake James, Lake Hickory etc would love to see the fishermen off THEIR lakes as well.

You can comment here or send me a PM..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:59 am 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

Just for further clarification here is the response from DUKE to my letter asking why Lake Summit and other are off limits. It was for the most part a letter that said go to the website which tells little. If you are a 30 year old environmentlist its probably nice to be able to hike to the BAD CREEK project up one of their trails but they have excluded the elderly and disabled. I wonder what the terms of the lease are? Are there terms of the lease that are being broken? What is the justifications they use to maintain that dam on a public river? Its going to be interesting to see what they use to justify damning the river and the LEASE terms.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Duke leases Lake Summit to the Lake Summit Homeowner’s Association who control lake construction activities and access via the boat ramp. Duke does not manage Lake Lure and likely other lakes alluded to in the note but not specifically named.

Public access is a requirement for the licenses to operate the hydroelectric facilities on the lakes that comprise the Catawba-Wateree Project (i.e., lake James to Wateree) and the Keowee-Toxaway Project (i.e., lakes Keowee and Jocassee). Bad Creek reservoir is not open to the public because of safety concerns (significant lake level fluctuations) regarding operation of the pump storage project. Duke, however, does maintain 44 miles of the Foothills Trail around the northern portion of Lake Jocassee as public access for the lack of access to Bad Creek. Duke maintains over 150 public access locations along the reservoirs and river sections between reservoirs in the Piedmont of both Carolinas and in western NC and SC.

Additional lake information regarding Duke hydroelectric facilities is available via the website:

http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/defaul ... ec=sidebar

Best regards,

Web Support Team