[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - KeelGuard or KeelShield
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KeelGuard or KeelShield
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:15 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Anyone know if there is a real diference between KeelGuard and KeelShield? I'm thinking about installing one of these hull prtoctors on my Stratos and would happily save myself $30 or so by going with the KeelShield if no performance difference.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:13 pm 

I had the same ? about a yr ago and just finally went with Keelshield, can't remember why though. I do have a followup questions to yours. Mine is still in the package in my garage, so, I was wondering if the adhesive has any kind of limited shelf life? I really need to get it on soon! I hope someone can give you some advice, EATSLEEPFISH.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

I put the best on my TR-20 - an original Hamby's Protector Beaching Bumper. They aren't cheap and you can't install it yourself, but a Hamby's will still be doing it's job long after your Keel Guard or KeelShield has come off or worn out. I launch alone almost 100% of the time. I hook a 25' rope on the bow eye and loop the other end over the winch stand. Back in and float the boat off, pull forward and drag the boat up onto the ramp a bit, back up a little & unhook, then park the truck. It's been on for a year and shows zero signs of wear. I had one on my BassCat for 3 years and it was bearly scuffed when I sold that boat. Give Roger Satterfield a call at 1-800-742-2813 if you have any questions.

Oh, and guess who sells and installs them in SC -- Martin's Marine.:grin:

jim@heartlandtackleservice.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:01 am 

Martin's Marine does not install the Hamby's anymore. When Michael's father Robert ran the service shop he installed them. They are very difficult to install and everything depends on the weather...they have to be put on at the right temp.

We do install the keel guards and have had no problems with them!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:40 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

I would put the Keelshield on there. I have several friends that are on their Pro Staff here in S.C. If you have any questions at all, I can put you in contact with them.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honestly the keel sheild and the keel guard are pretty much the same thing.

Both will do the job.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:42 am 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

Here is my .02, New Boat from the plant, Hamby's. Fiberglass needs to be ground off the boat and it uses epoxy to adhere to the hull must be installed by a dealer or ordered/installed from the plant. Most new boats offer this as an option. After market installation, Hambys lite, Keelshield (thicker and more adhesive strips than Keelguard), Keelguard. It is better to have any of the above then none at all. All ob the above do require prep work on the hull and Stacie is right they are temperature sensitive at install time must be 70* or above. Which ever one you choose read the directions, take a break, re-read the directions, take a break and re-re-read the directions :wink: . Once you start to apply it you better be on the mark because it is on and you can't slide it around and it is a 2 man job. One can do it but it is a pain, I've done 4 Keelshields and it takes about 2-2 1/2 hours to do.
Hardcore them Prostaffers wouldn't happen to be from Charleston/Monks Corner would they :razz: !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:13 pm 

Not sure which I bought but I know it wasn't Hamby's because I didn't have the choice at the time. I installed it w/ my son's help after properly marking the area with a pencil and prepping the area ( per instructions 3m Scotchbrite pad, acetone? some type of cleaner ). you need 4 hands to hold it when you start.
So far after 2 yrs it still works/ looks great.
Any one of the 3 would be a great investment to any boat.
I would have to believe the 1 still in the garage for a yr would still be good, otherwise they would have an expiration date on them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:01 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks for the replies. Based on what I’ve heard so far, I’m leaning toward the KeelShield and after looking at their installation instructions on the web, it'll be a few months before I can install (70+ degrees is indeed required), so there’s plenty of time for more comments.

Speaking of temperature, the temp outside just hit 72 degrees and the rain has yet to show up. Naturally, I'm stuck….I mean happy to be here at work all weekend…I trust there’s some lunkers coming out of the water today!