[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Power Trim
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Trim
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:11 pm 

ChampionMan,, (Fred), I know you aren't crazy about Mercs but this is just a power trim question (problem). :shock:

When I am running fast, I raise my motor to lift the bow for a better plane... after a bit the front lowers and I have to raise it again.. i know the thing is old (1983) But what could be wrong with it....?? thanks retiredguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:53 am 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

Not try'n to speak for CM, but If you'd take out a couple hundred pounds of GREEN PUNKIN worms it might lift better!! LOL

No ol' buddy you sound like your trim is leaking down....my old '76 Johnny 115 did the same thing....it finally quit and it was so old nobody had parts for it. I put one of them CNC {I think} trim n tilt units on it....looks like as jack Plate but raised and lowered the motor just fine. I even raised the motor so that old 17' MFG Superbass would hit darn near 40MPH!!!...

Good Luck RTG CYA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:09 am 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

I agree with JoJo get rid of some of them worms, LOL!
No seriously on them old Mercs, I'm pretty sure that the trim fluid reservoir is inside the boat and is driven valves inside the unit via mechanical solenoids. Check your fluid level and top it off if low. I have a '87 135 laying out back and will check it later and get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:28 am 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

Just wondering if the oil might be contaiminated so it has reduced the viscosity allowing it to leak by. We use different viscosity hydraulic oils in some hydraulic applications to control external leaks and what I call internal hemrages. Boy my spelling looks like it really sucks this morning......LOL. RM

It's only a gambling problem if you lose

Post subject: Re: Power Trim
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:59 pm 

Thanks for all the replies...

Guess I should have told you what I have already done... Yes the motor/pump is inside the boat. I use 30 motor oil for the resevoir.

After putting up with it for a couple years, I took the whole unit out so I could see it without disconnecting anything. I poured the oil out and filled the darn thing with power-stearing (with stop leak) and put it back in place. I did this because I felt if there were any rubber or plastic that was causing the problem the this may repair it.

After a couple of months it seemed to be getting better and the motor/pump was having to work hard to raise/lower the motor. So again, I took it out and poured that oil out and refilled it with 30 wt motor oil.

The stop-leak doesn't appear to have done anything for the unit (good or bad).

I have worked with hydralic pumps and the actuators that causes the "pistons" to move and cause the action to reverse or go up or go down, whatever. They really are not that complicated but I don't think I am ready to take it apart... after all it is still working, just not like it should.... thanks retiredguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:50 pm 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

RTG, I don't think I'd use motor oil in the unit. They make hydraulic oil with about a 20 weight viscosity. Motor oil doesn't have the right additives for a hydraulic system. Not sure what that means exactly but there is a difference. RM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:06 pm 

What is the correct fluid to put in a power trim resvoir?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:03 am 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

I have seen Tilt and Trim Oil in bottles. Not sure if it is something special or what. I have used John Deere hydraulic oil in my old 75 HP Johnson many years ago and it seemed to do fine. If I had to add or change my newer motor fluid I would just buy the real stuff at a dealer. RM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:28 am 

The old Merc run 30wt motor oil in them. I run 10w30 in mine it the winter. RTG fill with oil and trim it up and down a few times. This gets the air out.

catfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:30 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

catfish is right............my neighbor has an old late 70's to early 80's Merc on a old orange tri-hull bass boat and it calls for 30wt ENGINE oil........the reason I know is he's trim/tilt went out last year on it.......RTG if memory serves me correct he couldn't find parts for it either, had to buy a Parts Motor that had a blown powerhead and robbed the t-n-t off it. I can't remember what year model it was but I tihnk it's early 80's with inside mounted reservoir and a 'Tower of Power' powerhead ........sounds just like yours from what I remember.

Good Luck !
-Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:42 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator
Soft Body Baits Moderator

RTG, don't you let these guys talk you into taking those Green Pumpkin worms out of that boat. You may need to do something with the trim but those worms coming out of the boat ain't gonna help anything except them not having to fish against you and those baits :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:19 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

RG, Call me 864-934-7985 checked the unit today and if you have a single ram (like most Merc's) it should work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:01 pm 

Thanks fred, will do tomorrow... any time in particular??? retiredguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:50 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

after 3 PM is good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:07 pm