[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Merc EFI 225 Fuel additives
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:27 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

ChampioNman,

I have a 1999 Mercury 225 EFI on a TR 21 Triton that I have purchased as a used rig.
Motor is strong now and cranks and runs good other than a real smoker at crank up and idling.
I understand that this is inherent of this year and model. Correct me if I am wrong.
I am trying to do everything that I can to keep this motor in good operation verses cost me lots of money down the road. (Once of prevention vs. a pound of money!)
I have done the normal things like plugs, fuel water separator filter and foot oil and new water pump and now buying Merc. Premium Plus oil in bulk.
One of my questions to you is about the use of a fuel additive to protect from carbon build up and later big cost on engine and valves repair. I have talked with some that have never done it and others that say every other tank and some say you need to do it all the time. If you buy the Merc. Brand it adds about a dollar for every 6 gals.
What is your opinion on this and other such prevention / maintenance items for this EFI Motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

carbon guard is a BIG plus - I add it to every motor when they come in for service..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:15 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

SeaFoam Deep Creep is also good. BTW your motor is a 2 cycle and has no valves. You are trying to keep carbon from building up on the piston rings. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:38 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Merc Premium Plus is suppose to have a carbon guard already in it :thumbs_up: , hence the 'Plus'.

I think it (any of the oils with carbon inhibitors added to it) are better than standard 2 stroke oil ............. however, I would still recommend decarb'ing once a year as that other ounce of preventative.

Good Luck with Her.

p.s. Yea, all those Merc 225 EFI's smoke ........ when it quites smoking, start worrying :wink: ........................ ain't nothing like the rumble of a Merc 3.0L EFI ....... those bad boyz are just wicked the way the idle :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:28 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:01 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

If your running QSPP then use the SFDC every 3rd tank use 1/2 pint SF per full tank. Initial treatment 3/4 pint first tank. Only about $7.00/ pint. If you've never decarbed the motor it is a gradual approach to a total shock of and engine tuner run through it. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

where do you buy seafoam. jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:29 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Jimbo,
I used to get SeaFoam at CARQUEST Auto stores but I am now starting to see it at Wally world. I am not sure if it is the Deep Creep type that CM talks about. There are several variations of SeaFoam out there.

CM just to make sure I am on the same page as you, the QSPP is Quick Silver Premium Plus (which I am using) and my tank holds 53 gals. full. I have personally never decarbed it before but not sure about past owner. It certainly would not hurt anything, right? So 3/4pt and 1/2pt rates would be correct for a 53 gal tank? :hmm:
The SFDC is the SeaFoam Deep Creep?
If I got the SF right thanks for the great info. :thumbs_up:

You forgot to answer this one.
While I got you, what is your opinion on the use of NGK’s vs. the Champion Plugs it calls for in the Manual?
:?:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:23 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

cm, what do you charge to de-carb and how long does it take. bw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:23 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

Jimbo, as long as you running either XD-50 or XD-100 you are fine. you have an extra filter to keep your fuel clean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:26 am 

I HAVE A 1998 200 EFI AND I HAVE BEEN USING RINGFREE WHICH IS A YAMAHA PRODUCT AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS IN 4 YEARS AND MY ENGINE SMOKES WHEN IT IS COLD TOO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:00 am 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

I have an 04 200 EFI and I have killed lots of mosquitoes.... it actually helps at blast off if you in the front of the pack... them faster boats have to really slow down to see through the smoke screen..