[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Winter Question?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Question?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:11 am 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

Hey what other tips can you give on keep your lower unit from freezing and gas from going bad. Is some thing posted in the knowledge base section or should some thing be posted for future tips on keeping your engine at peak performance.

I always lower the engine and try and get all the water out and have turned her over to try and blow it out. Does this hurt or help?

Plus use the gas additive if I'm not go to run it for a few weeks.

During cold weather should you crank it up and let it run before blasting off down the lake?

May be some other things that THE CHAMPIONMAN and MIKEY could recommend before we pull up in either of your lots with major or minor problems. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

Post subject: Re: Winter Question?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:10 am 
Hartwell Moderator
Hartwell Moderator

Before I had inside storage and had to keep boat outside I rigged up a 30 gallon plastic garbage can with a 200 watt light bulb inside. I would tilt the motor up slide the can over the foot then let motor back down. I had a piece of plywood that I had cut as tight to the motor as possible to go on top of the can. Nights that were below freezing I would plug in light never had a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 am 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

Yes, good one. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:30 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

let me wrap myself around your engine and it'll never get cold again :!: :!: :!: :!:

Why is it after I push one for English I still can't understand The person on the other end?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 pm 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

YEP! :-D I can see that kind of wrap really doing the lower unit some good and keeping it in fine working order. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Where do you pick one of them up at? :mrgreen: Just have the UPS guy drop it off and I'll put it on the lower unit. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

always use a fuel additive even during the summer - stabil is great & is inexpensive. Most of us dont use a full tank when we go & it can be a few weeks inbetween trips so its good to just treat all the gas & that way your safe & it becomes a habit.

Letting the motor all the way down is the best way to drain the block and gearcase of any residual water that may be left in them.

Also check the gear lube to make sure its fresh & there is no water in it. That can cause major damage if it freezes & its also a sign that you have a bad seal in the gearcase.

Check your water fuel seperators - again water freeze's it'll destroy the case & case major leakage.

Make sure that your bow is up high & the plug is out of the boat, no water in bilge, livewells, coolers, etc..

just a few tips ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:14 pm 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

Thanks, Mike some more great tips. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:30 am 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

I think I saw two of them WARMERS in Mikes store ... I believe it was in the showroom on the left side of the store.