[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Favorite shakey rod?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite shakey rod?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:40 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

WHats is the best action for shakey head

Post subject: Re: Favorite shakey rod?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:30 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Maybe a 6" or 6"6' medium spinning rod i don't fish it a lot but i really think it depends on the person as my partner uses a soft tip rod for a spinnerbait and i prefer a med heavy with a stiff tip and i guess it would also depend on line size and pound test.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:36 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I think it boils down to personal preference…
A good friend of mine uses a 6’6” medium heavy spinning rod…
I use the Shimano Cumara 7’2” medium heavy spinning rod…
I use the new US REEL SX 230…
I have switched from all fluorocarbon to Daiwa Samurai Braided line 20# test…
It has the diameter of 4lb test… NO twist… Casts like a dream…
I put a 5’ fluorocarbon leader on the braid…
I connect the two lines with a double Uni-Knot
I have tried the same rod in medium…
It didn’t have the backbone I wanted…
Just my two cents…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 am 
Why are you using a spinning rod for a shakey head? I use a spiral wrapped St Croix Legend Tournament 6'6" Med/Hvy Power Fast Action with 10 or 12lb flouro. Throws 1/4 oz head with 4" finesse great.

But then again, I personally don't like spinning rods.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:33 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:53 am 
jignpig... I should check posts I make better...

Why can't you place a shakey head where you want with a baitcaster? Can you place a jig 'n' pig :) where you want with a baitcaster?

Drop me a pm... lets talk.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

For me, it all depends on the application. If I'm fishing the shakeyhead around thick cover and laydowns and things like that, I'll throw it on baitcasting gear with a 7 or 7'2" medium heavy rod, preferrably my All Star ASR, with 15 or 17 lb Trilene Pro Grade flouro (this is more of a power fishing setup for me). If I'm using it in "open water" or in a true finesse presentation then I'll throw it on a 7' medium power St. Croix with either 8 or 10 lb flouro.

Hey jignpig, sometimes it's not just a matter of the rod that affects the hookset. You might have the right rod but not the right line for that rod. Sometimes people use a line with high amounts of stretch and they pair that with a "slow" action rod. This is not good unless you're fishing crankbaits and other baits where it's real beneficial to let the rod really load up before setting the hook. I use low stretch lines, like braid and flouro, with "slower" rods because of course the line has little to no stretch. When I use lines with more stretch I'll use "faster" action rods. Braid of course doesn't have any stretch...or at least none to speak of. Flouro also has minimal stretch. Mono, especially the lighter pound tests, has a lot more stretch than the other two mentioned. The rod should fit the line accordingly with the lure presentation you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:04 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Great post and thanks for sharing all. I'm looking for something better also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:23 am 

The custom spinning rods I am building with the size 3 or 4 micro guides. I have many blanks to choose from and at wholesale prices. My favorite is a St. Croix SCIII M Fast action. The micro guides seem to keep the tangles out of the spinning rods opposed to conventional guides. If any of you guys are heading out to Keowee Thursday night my cousin will have a couple of the micro guide rods.He will be in a white and red Z20. Give me a call at 864-918-5832. Thanks Taylor's Custo Rod and Repair.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I use a Daiwa L & T .........7'............heavy power..........fast taper........Shimano Symetre 1500 reel (6.2:1 ratio)........30# Power Pro braid and about 2' of Trilene 15# floro leader........ :thumbs_up: