[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - bearing flusher
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:12 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bearing flusher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:30 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

What do you use to flush bearings?

Post subject: Re: bearing flusher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:55 pm 

I use a wooden model paint brush.... the round kind that will fit into the bore of the bearing to hold the inner race still. I then spray WD 40, at an angle into the bearing seal and on the outer race, to spin the outer race. This usually dislodges the microscopic particals of dust and dirt that find the way into the bearings. Thius may take a few times and in opposite directions of spinning the properly clean the bearing. When clean the bearing will spin fast enough to make a wirling sound. Once this is accomplished, DO NOT Spin the bearing with pressurised air to dry it, but raterh instead lay the bearing on its side to drain. After cleaning the rest of the reel and upon reassembly, apply some type of bearing lube (Hot Sauce, Rocket Fuel, etc.) (YOUR Choice) to the bearing while still laying on it;s side and let this oil penetrate into the bearing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:10 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

I hate to disagree with Bullet1, but WD40 is NOT the stuff you want to use. It was designed to be a "Water Displacer", hence the "WD". It contains petroleum distillates and will not completely dry (or drain) out of the bearings. If you must spray them, use spray Brake Cleaner. That stuff will evaporate 100% and leave no residue. Do not, however, do this in the house - go outside!!

Another good solvent to use is plain old lighter fluid (naptha) like Ronsonol. It's an excellent degreaser and evaporates very well and reasonably quickly. Soak the bearings for 20-30 minutes then let dry 15 minutes or so. Check bearings smoothness by placing on a paint brush handle as Bullet1 mentioned. Hold outer race in your thumb & index finger, and turn the brush slowly. If not smooth, repeat soaking, drying and then oil.

Also be careful how much oil you put in your clean bearings. Too little oil will allow excess wear and squealing, and too much will decrease your casting distance. The kind of oil you use will also effect your casting performance due to differences in viscosity ("thickness"). Don't over oil your bearings - you won't like the results.

jim@heartlandtackleservice.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:30 am 

I use gasoline......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:59 am 

Most of the time when someone asks about needing the bearings cleaned..... it is to the point where soaking does not completely remove all of the debree in the bearing, and it needs to be rotated. and with this being said, most people unless they have sufficent knowledge of bearings don't need to use a cleaner that completely evaporates if they plan on rotating the bearing. Never turn or rotate a bearing while it is dry as this means metal to metal contact which is a no-no.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:14 pm 

I feel that both Bullet1 and the Reel Doc make great points. Using WD-40 to clean bearings is a great idea. We use the stuff all the time to clean debree off of guide rods off of pneumatic cylinders at work. I like the idea of cleaning the bearing with WD-40 (no brushing on it to get debree out or nothing), soaking parts doesn't always get the grit out. But Reel Doc makes a great point about WD-40 as well. So what do you guys think about cleaning the bearings with WD-40, soak to remove WD-40 and then lubricate with appropriate oil? :roll: I know this seems time consuming but everything done right takes time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:02 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:59 am 

I think me and your are driving on the same road Cooter!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:30 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

I think Bullet1 got the wrong idea from my earlier post. I agree that you don't want to spin bearings at high speed when dry, but rotating them slowly to feel for roughness is the only way to tell if they really need replacement. Stainless Steel is a very tough material and SS reel bearings will <b>NOT</b> be harmed by rotating them slowly in this manner.

WD-40 is OK to get rid of debris (definitely <b>NOT</b> my preference) but you still need to get rid of the WD-40 as cooter mentioned. The bearings need to be "clean and completely dry" to get maximum benefit from the oil you use. I sell about 1,000 replacement reel bearings a year and all of them come from my distributor "dry lubed" - that means absolutely all grease and oil has been removed. All of the replacement bearings I sell are ABEC7 rated. They are manufactured to much closer tolerances than the stock bearings that come in most reels.

"Rocket Fuel" is the brand name for several specialty oils marketed by TG Developments () in England. I carry both TG's Rocket Fuel oil and ceramic Rocket Bearings in my shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:36 pm 

I was once told "Never spin a bearing that is not lubricated". It would be hard to flush one out without spinning it.The temptation is too great.. If the bearing is contaminated with anything, I was trained that the best way was to compress new grease in from one side and wipe it off on the other, until all contaminated grease has passed through.. NORMALLY the situation we are talking about here would only involve water that has gotten into the greese. This greese is easily pushed out the other side and your bearing is "clean". If you are still not satisfied, take a clean cloth, (old tee-shirt is best) wipe all the grease off (you can't wipe all the grease off, (GOOD) and you have a lubricated bearing while doing all your work..tightlines Reetiredguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:54 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

That procedure works fine on large bearings such as wheel bearings. Unfortunately that procedure is not applicable to our miniature precision reel bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:50 pm 

You're right Doc,,, we always just replaced the precision ones IF that is the reason we disassembled the item anyway. If not we just lay it aside on a clean piece of paper or cloth. If the reason we took it apart in the first place were the bearings, we would replace them... retiredguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:18 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I have not done that RG, but I have learned to learn from those with more experience - you may be on the best/ simplest track :mrgreen:

I hear ya steveN - went back and read yours - yep - same thing. One thing is any road that I am on is a dirt road :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:30 pm 

Hot Topic!!!! Well the WD 40 will remove the crude and sludge in the bearings and yes you can then soak them in a solvent of your choice that evaporates! IF YOU HAVE A WAY TO PUSH OR FLUSH THE SOLVENT THROUGH THE BEARING WITH PRESSURE OR A AGGITATING CLEANING MACHINE LIKE WATCHMAKERS USE TO CLEAN WATCH PARTS) WITHOUT ROTATING THE BEARING IT WILL BE THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN IT. As far as lubricating the bearing you will want to use a light weight oil (such as I mentioned before), as a grease is too thick and the reel will not cast properly. As a rule of thumb... if a bearing rotates faster then 600 RPM grease can be used, more than 600 RPM use oil as a lubricant. NOW JUST HOW FAST AND FAR DO YOU WANT TO CAST!!!!!!!!!!