[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Welcome to the Rods & Reels Forum
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:19 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

Mike twisted my arm and asked me to be moderator on this forum, so here we are. :lol:

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Jim Johns and I go by ReelDoc. I know Roadkill, splash & Peanutman from this forum personally, and I enjoyed meeting everybody when we fished Clarks Hill with you in October, 2005. I'm a Computer Systems Analyst for an aerospace company by day and a fishing reel mechanic by night. I currently live in Wichita, KS, with Bobbie, my lovely wife of 24 years. We have 2 grown children, April (23) and Chris (22). Chris has been married to Jacque since June, 2005 and we have 3 grand-dogs, a grand-cat, and a grand-bird so far. We recently purchased a retirement home about 6 minutes from Lake Guntersville, AL. We'll be moving there in 2-4 years, depending on when the $$$$ is right. I'm ready to move right now, as we currently have 6" of snow on the ground!! :cry:

I was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB in 1973-75, so I'm familiar with SC. I didn't bass fish then, but I still miss saltwater fishing from the Pavilion Pier. I've been bass fishing for about 15 years and I fish from a Triton TR-20. I primarily use Shimano Chronarch reels and prefer St. Croix rods. I have built many of my own rods as well as a couple for friends, and I have a VERY close friend who is a professional rod builder. I may have to pick his brain on your more technical rod questions.

I own Heartland Tackle Service and I service apporximately 300 Shimano, Daiwa and Abu Garcia reels per year. I also do lots of research and testing, particularly in the area of making things happen that the factory didn't. A few of my latest discoveries are finding a metal cast control cap, wiffle spool, and a set of 5:1 gears for the Curado CU-100B/101B. The 5:1 gears make the CU-100 into a great crankbait reel. I have several with these modifications and they work great. I also located a metal levelwind pawl to replace the nylon one on the Curado 200B which seems to break at the most inopportune time.

I need your help to make this a great forum. I'll do my best to answer your questions about rods and reels. I don't know everything, and I will tell you when I don't have an answer. But I will attempt to get the information for you. If you know the answer to a posted question, please feel free to sound off. One og my goals is to learn at least one new thing each day. You can help me meet that goal. I have a bunch of tips and will start posting them next week when we have an 11-day break at the salt mine.

Now, it's your turn -- come on and join in!! :grin:

Attachments:
File comment: I caught this little girl at Guntersville in Oct, 2004. She was my first "rat" fish!!
GvilleBass_third.jpg
GvilleBass_third.jpg [ 24.65 KiB | Viewed 16694 times ]

jim@heartlandtackleservice.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:27 pm 
Wire Bait Moderator
Wire Bait Moderator

Great to have you here. I once flew in to the Wichita airport. About 4 years ago a baseball team I coach played in the USSSA World Series in Hutchinson. Was 100+ degrees everyday and we played two a day for a week. Finished 13th out of 84 teams. What kind of turn around time would I be looking at this time of year?Probably send 10 or 15 curados and a scorpion.

Blademan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for lending a hand here!!

Post subject: Blademan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

Right now my turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks to get to them and another week or so to finish that many reels. But that is subject to change any day as I receive reels. I will only get busier as the winter progresses though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:10 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

ReelDoc....Do you work on OLD Shimano reels?? 300 Bantum early 80's....Thanks CYA

Post subject: JoJo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:55 pm 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

Yes, but some parts are hard to come by. What does your reel need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:55 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

They work OK just generaly worn out!! LOL I like them big reels for big Spinnybaits/Buzzbaits w/ 20# line. just was wondering if you ever see any anymore. Thanks CYA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:00 pm 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Jim, received the MG spools and you know I like that stuff!. If anyone wants to try a quality mono line..try Mean Green-Heartland carries it.

Will be sending in a couple of my old curado 100's..drags and cleaning...
Got one of the new curado's...worth every additional dollar! sweet for my 2 cents..
Have a good new year!
PM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:35 am 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

Good t hear from you PeanutMan. Glad it's all working out well for you. I just bought myself one of the new Shimano Citica 200Ds. For $120 it's a very fine reel. I'm not sure I could find enough difference between it and the Curado 200D to justify the extra $80. I also have a Cruxis (the $100 reel in this line) and I'll be posting some comments and pictures of them in the next few days. Suffice it to say that I won't be buying any more Cruxis reels.