[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Oiling bearings ?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oiling bearings ?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:53 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Does it do any good (or harm) to oil a double shielded bearing? Have a friend that said he stopped the aqueel on a Pflueger President by oiling the 3 spool bearings with Hot Sauce. I know that Pflueger only uses double shielded, stainless bearings in their reels...President has 3 bearings on the spool. Can oil get into a double shielded bearing?

While I'm at it, do you oil or grease a worm gear? I have always used two drops of oil on worm gear, but read that a drop of grease was better (don't over do either so the gear won't pick up dust or dirt)...

Post subject: Re: Oiling bearings ?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Bill, I have always oiled bearings double sheilded or not. Nothing is perfect and the hot sauce will find any way into them. First I soak the bearing in lighter fluid then let them dry on a paper towel. I will put the bearing on the end of a pencil and apply small drop of HS then run the bearing around with my finger working the oil in. Then for good measures I turn the bearing over and repeat. Seems to work for me.
As far as the worm gear I use oil on mine It just seems that grease attracks dirt. I've also found that the fibers from the boat carpet seem to like grease and stick to the worm. Don't know why they just like it I guess. JMHO.

Why is it after I push one for English I still can't understand The person on the other end?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:02 pm 

according to bass pro shops on their johnny morris reel the following paragraph says "oil should be applied to all bearings,the worm gear and the crank shaft. Grease should be applied to the drive gears,crank gears,the pinion gears and all bushings" i figure if that is what bps suggests about their top of the line reel it could probably translate over to other brands

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:58 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

Wanna make it really scream? Use some Rocket fuel oil. The long distance surf casters at the OBX use it exclusively. Get the Red not the yellow, Yellow is for competition casting red is for everyday. I use it on my hopped up Abu's. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:37 am 
Reel Wizard
Reel Wizard

Sorry to disagree ChampioNman, but you're off by one grade. The Tournament is used for casting competitions (about the same viscosity as water), the Yellow is appropriate for all bass reels (particularly those using close tolerance ABEC7 bearings), and the Red is thicker for more heavy duty applications. According to my records, I sold 162 bottles of Yellow Rocket Fuel to bass anglers last year. Please check out TG's website for more information.

Doc

jim@heartlandtackleservice.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:20 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Is there really a big difference in the oils???? I've always just used the oils that come with the reels and it seems to work fine.

My question is, however, does it do any good to oil shielded bearings??? Can the oil get into the bearing??? I just seems that if the oil can get in, so can water, dust, etc. If so, what is the point in shielding the bearing???? Is it just to attempt to minimize the impact of stuff getting into the bearing????

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

You're right Doc. I had a old age brain cramp :lol: , got it bass ackwards. I get all my stuff from Trey at http://hatterasoutfitters.com/index1.html. Been a while since I've been there and the Tx stuff is new to me and so is the XS :hmm: . The ABEC 7's and the smoothie drags make all the difference in the ABU's :thumbs_up: