[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Very interesting read about progressive insurance
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:11 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:34 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:30 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have absolutley no isses with this being posted.

Please feel free to let Axman know we are here & he is welcome to post here...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:32 pm 

I have Progressive with a guaranteed replacement value. I do not understand the insurance company negotiating on the value of the lower unit unless the guaranteed value of the replacement policy was less than the value of the boat package. If you have a $20,000 boat and insured it for $10,000, does that mean that they have to pay $3,000 for a lower unit? This issue scares me. I insured the boat package for more than what I thought it is worth. I have never had a claim in 25 years. Heck, if somebody steals my trailer are they only going to pay $500. The tires cost me more than that! :angry: I can only hope that I have adequate coverage. :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

replacement value to me means that they can dictate what you get by using average low retail or even whole sale figures...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:54 am 

I made that mistake with Travelers when I wrote with them. The agent had the policy written as a boat package and a $250.00 deductible or 1%. You need to watch the 1% clause if you have one in your policy on a boat package policy. I whacked up my $695.00 Stainless Steel Prop and filed a claim expecting them to pay 445.00 and I pay the difference. I had an adjusted from Texas call me and ask me what brand and prop size my boat had. I gave him the information and an hour later he called me back and told me they would be sending me a check for $113.45 to replace the prop with and I explained to him that I only have a 250.00 deductible and he said that he agreed but that they were going to use the 1% deductible part of the clause for it. I figured that up right quick in my head and said fine. Then you should be sending me a check for $ 688.05 and that was when he told me how the 1% clause works. It enables the Insurance company to use the entire boat package deductible which means they used $22,500.00 value and figure the deductible of that to figure what I should recieve and I said fine, if your going to total the boat for a bent prop just send me the $22,250.00 and tell me where to deliver the boat and I will just buy a new boat with a new prop and the guy just hung up on me. I went to my agent and she said it was out of her hands and I said fine just give me the name of the person in charge of the marine division of Travelers. She gave it to me and I took it from there. I sent her an email of what her adjuster said and she srote back saying that she was standing behind the adjusters decision. I sat down and wrote the biggest ugliest article I could about the way Travelers Insurance Company Marine division was treating me and made plans to send it to every boatng and fishing magazine in the country to their editors for printing. At the time I was alos fishing 4 major Bass tournament trails and planned on having it posted in the newsletters. I then sent a copy of the letter to the Marine division or Travelers director telling her of my plan to have that letter placed in the list of Bass fishing and Boating magazines which all together had circulations of over 25 million publications. Well by the time all of this took place I had recieved my check for $113.45 but didn't cash it. I just had the prop replaced so I could fish while I planned on fighting the insurance company. About 10 days later I got a letter in snail mail with a check enclosed for $445.00 more money. Now I had $558.45 of their money. In the letter I was told that they were going to pay this claim on the deductible but not because of my threats of the publication but to maintain good customer relations with their clients. On the following line in the letter it read that they would not be re writing my policy when it came up for renewal. And sign by her. Well little did she know that I had already written a new policy with Strictland Marine Insurance. I have not being covered by them for almost 6 years and had one claim and that claim was settled in less than one week with no questions asked.
Now the way I had this policy written is I had a set replacement value placed on each item seperately. My trailer is one price, my boat is another price, my Yamaha motor is another price, my trolling motor and other attached items such as electronics are another price and all of my unattached items which is all of my fishing tackle and rods and reels are covered at another price. If the boat is stolen they pay for each individual part that was taken of actually cover the entire boat motor trailer package. I found that is the only way to be covered completely. You need to insure each item seperately and put a replacement value on each item and they will pay for it less what ever deductible you have is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:37 pm 

I like that idea. I will see if that is possible with Progressive ang get back. I think this is a big issue. Not many of us think about until it is too late. Thanks Softy :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:58 pm 

Well I have had my share of dealings with Boat insurance companies and believe me they think that boat owners are all idoits and they will do their best to blow you off but if you stand tough with them they will finally come around and do whats right. It also helpe when you have a brother that has been in the Auto Body and Glass repair for 35 years beofre he sold his business and he gave me all his tips for dealing with adjusters. If the adjuster offers you anything less than a fair option, just go over their head directly to the company because most insurance companies use independent Adjuster Services and do not have their own adjusters but it is the company that makes the final decision and not the adjuster.......... :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:10 pm 

With as many members as this site has, many people have probably had dealings with various insurance companies. Has anyone dealt with state farm for boat insurance. Looking for any claims/experiences good, bad or indifferent .

Thanks,
Britt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:14 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:44 am 

Why I changed to state farm last year from , and now I have just about everything with them. They all give to both parties but I think progressive has been way out there for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Thanks for all that info softy, im going to review my policy today!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:26 pm 

I have had State Farm Insurance for years and they have been great. My lower unit struck a submerged log and destroyed the lower unit. Because it is the Merc 250 ProXs torque master, Cost was $6,500. Adjuster looked at it within 2 days and I had a check for full replacement in less than a week. Louis Patterson State Farm in Clemson has always treated me well. He is a an avid sportsman so He can relate to us. Just my two cent worth.