[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Let's start simple
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's start simple
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:02 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:17 pm 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:19 pm 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

My 3 cents...
1- Once the water starts warming in mid to late February, fish rock. I prefer natural to rip rap then. The few weeks prior to the spawn the fish will relate to docks in or adjacent to spawning flats.
2- Pick a clear and dirty water color and stay with them. Experiment with trailers - quicker that way. Too many jig color choices will clutter your thinking.
3- Take your time and learn to pitch and skip. The better fish relating to docks will be way up under the platforms and under pontoons. You must be able to skip the jig 8-10 feet on top in order for the jig to still be in the best location when it settles to the bottom... and, most importantly, keep it in your hand. Better to take nothing else with you until you get comfortable with it.
Greg

Post subject: Re: Let's start simple
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:17 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

8 to 10ft?!?! wow what a skip. i just thought i had been skippin, haha. i can skip a fluke or senko like that but not a heavy @ss jig. guess i got a goal now though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:50 pm 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

Evryone not used to skipping jigs may want to consider a light weight jig with a football head, with a trimmed skirt and a compact trailer. For beginners the smaller the profile the easier to skip. Another idea, when I first learned to skip, I learned with a spinning rod. They are a lot easier to the beginner than a traditional baitcaster. As you get better at skipping, try your baitcaster. Don't get discouraged, and keep after it. bass10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 pm 

I learned to skip with a 3/8oz ont he tailgate of my truck. if you got a concrete drive it close to water. Try to skip in small sections at a time. with pratice indoesn't take too long, then you got to work on hitting what you're throwing at. This is what takes time. Some places you've got to skip your jig 10-15 ft under a pier and hit a cup size hole. This take time on the water and nothing else. I hope this hip getting fixed will help me this year. Last year I couldn't keep my mind on what I was doing.

catfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:14 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

greg, what are your tips for learning to skip a jig.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:30 am 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

I see I got a long way to go! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:04 am 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

Off the back of the truck like Catfish says.
It takes alot of practice but you will figure out just how far away from you and at what trajectory in order for the bait to go where you want it to go. Also - learn to do it from both the left and right sides of the boat. Your boat is not always going in the direction you prefer when you are going down a row of docks.
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:55 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I can skip one (3/16 to 1/4 oz) well with a spinning rod - I tend to backlash with a baitcaster when I try to skip a jg. Greg you made me realize something I quit fishing docks in SC - I hate them floating docks on the SR. Back on hi rock I will need to start hitting them again. My best jig lake was Baden. I taught myself to fish a jig there in February hitting weeds betwen the rocks. So thats where I will start - I plan on getting back on that jig this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:37 pm 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

When I fished the Trails up north, there was a guy from Vermont, named Tom LaVictoire. He only had jig rods on his deck to fish tournaments. He knew where every grass clump and rock pile was at on Lake Champlain. Won a lot of tournaments, and on jigs only. He used to say what I've heard greg say " If I get 'em I'll get 'em good or not get any", or something to that effect. Tom was the best I'd seen with a jig, then.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:45 am 

cooter I remember you I ain't that old yet. :razz: I like floating docks. If it's got a crack my jig is going back there. That's why I said it takes time to be able to hit a small hole with the boat moving, waves and such. Practice is the best thing. You have to learn the angle that it skips best and when you do it becomes easier. Also always uses the same rod once you learn. I skip with a Heavy 61/2 rod. Got three alike. you can do it with what you like best. Expirament with it. Istarted with a 7ft and moved down to the 6-6.

catfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:17 pm