[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - What line do you all use on Jig's?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:56 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:40 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:11 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:45 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

I jerk to hard for Braid....

Lately I've been use'n 20# clear Suffix in the Blue Box. I've had no problems w/ it, but I'm use'n some 25# clear Gamma Co-poly stuff that is good too. I like clear line, I need to see it but I can't take the Flo. Bright lines {Pro-mix suffix} and I can't see the green to good. 20# Big-Game is very hard to beat but it's a little stretchy for deep water & long casts. If you're fish'n short w/ a heavy pole it'll work good. I'd just stick w/ 15# to 25#. Lots of people do good w/ P-Line CXX but I can't see it like I need to.

Don't mean to confuse y'all but if you get a good fresh spool of any of these in 20# in your favorite color you won't go wrong, just remember you still need to re-tie GOAT rope and check it often for worn spots....Good Luck CYA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 pm 

thanks for the info... I hope some of the others that are reading this will jump in and give up a little info on it. I have been throwing to the brush and just a little sceptial about getting a fish out of that stuff with mono. Russ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:21 pm 

If there is not a lot of heavy cover and the water is clear, I use Berkley Vanish Transition. If the water is stained enough to where I can get away with it, I use a braid. But where I fish most of the time (lower end of Clark Hill) I use the fluorocarbon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:33 pm 

I use braid, but I did have a problem of losing fish at first. Turns out I was setting too hard. Adjusting the drag so there's just a bit of slip on hookset did the trick and now I'm hooking up with no probs.

I can see how line visibility in clear water could be a problem with braid. I have fished lighter jigs with 10 lb test before and it works out pretty well as long as you aren't in the trees or cast too far.

-J

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:05 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

In heavy cover, I use 12/50 Power Pro braid. Sometimes I'll go as heavy as 80, depending on the cover. When using braid, I use a 7'6" medium heavy rod. The softer tip is more forgiving when using the "no stretch" braids and you'll have less of a tendency to rip the hook out of the fish's mouth. Remember to not button the drag all the way down either.

When not in heavy cover, I use Berkley Vanish in 20 or 25 lb test. The line has little stretch and it has great abrasion resistance. When using flourocarbon, I use a 7' medium heavy, which is a bit stiffer than my braid flipping stick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm 

When fishing football jigs in deep rock I use Vanish transition. Any other time I use Big Game. 20# in both.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:33 pm 

thanks for the info, looks like I will be taking the Spiderwire off... and trying some form of mono or something there in... :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:12 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

I normally use P-Line CXX in 15# for lighter jigs, and Big Game 20# for heavier jigs.
Hope this helps a little.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

Ya can't go wrong with the suggestions the guys have made. Good info. I have three flippin' sticks, one has braid, one has 17#, one has 14#. I fish jigs that range in weight from 11/4 oz to 1/4 oz. Sometimes I may fish a 1/4oz on a 6'3" worm rod with 8# CXX P-Line.
You have to figure out which is best for you through trial and error.
Good Luck.

bass10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:23 am 

thanks again for all the info... Been trying the jig, some sucess and a lot of casting at times... But, that is fishing. Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:27 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I personally use 20# BPS Excel blue with my JnP's and have no complaints.

I started using JnP about 2 year ago and what has worked for me is the quick 3 shake when stuck on brush/rock or dragging it with 3 smalll sweeps.