[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - if
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: if
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:44 am 

IF u were going to teach someone to skip a jig under docks. what rod(manf,lenth,weight) would u start them with. and what reel would u start them with(manf. speed,ballbarings) would u start them on.any info would be nice.

Post subject: Re: if
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 am 
Jigs Section Moderator
Jigs Section Moderator

:hmm: Rod length for this technique is usually dictated by an angler's height, mainly because this cast involves a underhand roll cast, where the rod tip is loaded fast and released fast. If the angler is real good with a baitcaster( you know- thumbing and all the brakes and tensions are set right) Then my suggestion would be: a 6 to 6'6" medium with a fast tip. I would aslo suggest a high speed (7 to 1) reel. You may need to get the fish out quickly. Also, based on the fact that most docks have loads of brush on them I'd use a braided line. Fireline works well for me.
Now if the angler is a novice, I would suggest the sme size rod but start them with a spinning reel. The low trajectory needed for docks and the loading of the rod seems easier for the beginner with a spinny outfit. You can still use a braid like fireline. Hope this helps. :)
bass10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:23 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

There's a lot of different rods and reels to use and I've tried a bunch...the last 2 years I've used a Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris JMX10SC reel (5:1) and a BP Extreme MH 7-1/2 ft rod....a lot of guys use a 7 ft or a 6'10" rod also...

Get a smooth reel or you will have a lot of problems with reels with few ball bearings...the one I use has 10...

IF you've never skipped the best way to get started is us a 3/8 or 1/2oz jig and go into the back of a pocket where there isn't any wind or boat wake...pick a dock that extends off the water 2 to 3 ft or higher and go to it...after you get the hang of it you can fight the wind and boat wake on the main lake better...you're gonna backlash and thats just the way it is...I've been skipping a jig for years and still plow the jig into the water sometimes...

I use a Shooter Jig becuase it works best for me plus it catches some hog mommas :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:51 pm 

I too skip jigs under docks and pontoons and there are a few things I have learned the hard way.

First off, to avoid a bird's nest backlash that Yoda couldn't even untangle for you try this:
If you are going to be skipping under docks from 30-40 ft away for example, make a cast beforehand that is 50ft or so and don't reel up. Slap a small strip of "lectrical or duck tape" on the spool over the line and then reel up. This way while you are learning you can concentrate on skipping instead of de-nesting because no matter what the backlash can't go deeper than the tape.

I too skip a 3/8oz or 1/2oz jig in most cases unless the water beneath the dock is very deep or drops off quickly. I like to skip football jigs because they seem to work a little better but any head will work. I also prefer a less bulky jig for skipping because for me it seems the thinner skirted jigs create less drag per skip and don't mire up early into the cast.
It is worth spending time getting the best angle on the dock so look at the whole dock before making your skip cast(s). If you can get close enough to the dock to swing the jig underneath by using the bottom of the dock that works good as well.

I use a Curado on a BPS 6'10 MH Woo Daves rod to skip. You can use a spinning rod to do this and it may be easier for someone who is more acustomed to using spinnies.

I use Bass Slayer jigs because...well I make'em...and they catch fish. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:58 pm 

The guy that taught me to do this, taught me to only spool my reel about half full of line, seems I got a little better control. Works for me any way. Wish I had know about the tape trick :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:52 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

I was taught to skip with a 5' 6" and 6" rod keeping it just above the water level and parallel to the side of the boat this puts your partner out but let him fish the edges and in front with a c-rig or crankbait while you work the dock Iwas taught in open water first just skipping toward the bank after i learned how then skipping it under docks and trees was not a problem you just skip it across the top of the water like the dock or tree wasn't there. As far as reels find one that fits your hand and is smooth.