[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Any body re-load???
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any body re-load???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

I'm think'n I want to start back, now that I got my own "room" LOL I used to load 20 ga shells...still got all my stuff but I'm think'n about reloading some 270 stuff. I got plenty of brass. I just need every thing else. Not planning on load'n a bunch of round so I'm looking at a Lee Classic loader but could use a press.

I like 130 gr. stuff mostly. I was shocked when I saw how much ammo has gone up. Not sure if re-loading is much cheaper but I'm looking into it. THX CYA

Post subject: Re: Any body re-load???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:22 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Nope .... but like you I used to.

I've got a MEC 650 that I reloaded 12ga on til I started useing dad's 9000 hydraulic. It was great for making heavy dove loads (1 1/4oz) ..... but as far as less expensive, no. After talking to a lot of the ammo manufacturers, what I've found is the $25/100 WalMart shells are extremely cheap components. Your reloads will be more like AA quality shells. But still, unless you're buying shot by the pallet, wads by the cardboard box full of 1000/bag's, etc .. it's good to just break even.

Rifle bullets ..... dad still reloads his .223, .270, 30-06, 300 Savage, 7mm Rem Mag due to his rifles shoot them better ............. but thank God my 7mm Rem Mag likes factory ammo. Plus factory ammo is made better these days as well. I can shoot Federals, Winchesters, Hornadys out of my Model 700 and get 3 shot groups @100 covered with a nickel ..... but it does not like Remingtons. Go figure, a Remington rifle that does not like Remington ammo, LOL !

I do fletch and tune CricketKiller and I's own arrows :mrgreen:

p.s. CricketKillers .243 bullet is almost as big as your .270 :P ....... but she does like her 30-06 (Browning slinging factory Winchester's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 pm 
Hartwell Moderator
Hartwell Moderator

both you guys keep your eyes open for a youth model 308 I got to find one at a good deal in the next year or so or he may take my Browning micro 7-08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Can do. I'll keep you in mind if I come across something. But truthfully, I'd rather have the 7mm-08 over the .308 for youth or ladies anyway. If you can find a .300 Savage, that's another good round .... it's VERY similar to a .308 (except the ammo is more expensive due to rarity).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 am 
Hartwell Moderator
Hartwell Moderator

I have never seen a youth 7-08. If I could find one that would be the first choice. I have 308, 7 mag,30/30,44mag and several 30-06 but would not take anything over my 7-08 Had it about 12 years and love it. Just got to have something youth for grandson and don't like the 243,270

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:56 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

I wass going to post you a link, but there's so many I decided to go another way ....

type in 7mm-08 youth in Google, and just start clicking at all the different models.

Sorry JoJo, I think Jimbo and I highjacked your post, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

No such thing as "Hi-jack'n" This IS WHAT this board is for....start'n discusstions on stuff. Y'all are Wellcomed, Needed & Encouraged to jump in.

Had my 270 since '80. Jack O'Conner was{IS} a big hero of mine. Mine seems to like Bronze tips or them Nosler Accu-tip w/ the yeller plastic nose. But I can hit a beer can @ 100 yards w/ about any thing I shoot in it.

Got rained out today and I used the break to further organize my mess....ran across some good books on hunt'n and shoot'n. I allways liked the 257 Roberts and the 7 X 57, but I'm an O'Conner fan!! LOL My cousin got a 7MM mag in '79....you'd have to beat my azz w/ a boat paddle to make me shoot anything bigger than that. It gave him the ol' "scope EYE" his first shot LOL His bullets were like $12 or $14 back then and mine was about $9 or $10 I think. I got Spooney a 270 Ruger SS M77 {I think} he shoots it good, suprisingly good on running stuff. I think thats were ALL my bullets went. LOL

I wish I'da bought that sweet little #3 Ruger in 7X57 & put me a 4X Leupold on it. That would'a been a neat gun. 1 shot is all you're suposed to need anyway. LOL CYA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

I agree, 1 shot is all you need. I've not to jump on the TC bandwagon, but I am amazed at how the 'hunting community' has jumped on it so whole-heartedly since it's a single shot and just a few yers ago all people wanted was semi-automatic.

With that being said. I was in Ohio over Labor Day helping CricketKiller's dad sight in his .338 Win Mag for his Alaskan hunt he's on all this month (which he got a moose last Monday and is after Grizzly now). We shot it in that new Caldwell Lead Sled ...... MAN ! that thing is awesome. A .338 Win Mag that's literally like an air rifle. Now you shoulder it regularly while hunting it's like a blue-nosed mule.

Also, that 7-Mag I've got is amazingly light on recoil (and I'm shooting Federal Premium 150gr ballistic tips). I don't know what it is but it actually shoots more like a shotgun ( meaning a push instead of a kick).

Post subject: Re: Any body re-load???
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:52 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Anyone know what steyr prohunters are selling for now? jo-jo what was your question? :hmm: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol