SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:37 pm 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Hey guys I've never been Hog hunting but my son really wants to go before he gets married next year. The trip would be a cool birthday present next month. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I really want it to be a successful trip. Thanks a lot and GOD BLESS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:23 am 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

I hear a bunch of talk about going over to Lake Russell and putting in at one of the boat ramps and hunting the Wildlife Areas that are up and down the Rocky Creek area. My son has did this a number of times. I think that is where he brought one home early in the year from. Hope this helps. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:53 am 

i dont no what u want to spend or if u want to travel. i went this past summer to texas. it cost me 650.00. thats gas food and hunt, round trip. about a 15 hr drive. had the best hunt ever. its bow only. the hogs r in a 100acr pin. i still have mixed emoitions about that but u are pined in with them and u still have to do a spot and stalk on them. www.texas-sbowhunting.com. i had a blast. plan on making it a yearly trip. plus the people running it DUCKMAN & TUDIE are great host. i would suggest it to any one. i now have one big hog hagging on my wall that my wife hates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

When i was 8 or 9 years old my dad and all the guys we normally hunted with would get together in the summer and make a trip to Bostic Plantation in Estel. I think with a group package they give discounts. It was guided still hunts out of elevated stands. They load you up in the back of a pick up truck and take everyone around to stands then come back and pick you up. Almost everyone had an opportunity at a hog in the three days we were there, Tons of fun give them a look :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:15 pm 

Without a doubt you should check out www.jagerpro.com Ex military guys running night hunts down in Georgia. Using night vision and thermal imaging scopes and optics. Freaking incredible videos on their website and also you tube. I WILL be doing that this spring.

Britt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:05 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

bassman1964 @ Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:37 pm wrote:
... I've never been Hog hunting ... my son really wants to go .... next month. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I really want it to be a successful trip. ...

WOW !

First question ...... How do you want to hunt???
-bow hunt?
- rifle hunt?
- shotgun hunt?
- bowie knife hunt?
- w/ dogs?
- over bait?
- still hunt?
- stalk hunt?

After you've decided all this, then you can start looking for a guide.

Holy chit .... NEXT month ! Bo', I'd just tell him 'we're going, now let's find a guide'. Make him part of the decision making process on how he wants to hunt and where he wants to go. I'd hate to 'find a guide' in only a one month time frame. But then again I typically have my trips planned out 1 yr in advance.

I don't have any 'great guides' that I can put you on. I typically have old college friends or people I've met over the years of either forestry work or archery tournaments that I rely on.

Helpful tips ........ coastal SC and especially coastal GA can be good. Rifle hunting will be your most successful and established bait piles that have not been pressured are your best bet. Rifle to take ... your deer rifle.

Archery is my cup of tea :wink:, especially stalking over salt marshes through marsh grasses :thumbs_up: Just watch out for the Eastern Diamondbacks :shock:

Good Luck !