[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Mississippi/Arkansas Trip Jan' 2007
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:53 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Man................. where do I start. Ever have a trip where it was such a blast that everything is going through your head and you just don't know where to start? :hmm:

Headed out Sunday morning at 4am. Drove through the rain the whole way, even went through that really bad weather that was in Birmingham, AL. Got to see Taladaga Speedway on the way out there.

Stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in one of their suites ....... that was nice, getting to stretch out and not feel like you were staying in a closet. However we spent very little time in the room. When we did we were 'Dog Tired' ! I don't know why, but I'm bad to lay in the floor and fall asleep, always have been, but Sophie don't mind. She likes it when I get down there with her.

It really amazed me how the landscape drops off when you are entering into the Delta. I mean here in SC, you kinda ease into the mountains from the piedmont, or from the piedmont into the sand hills and then the coastal plain. Not there ! I mean when you get into the Delta, it's like leaving the living room and stepping into the kitchen, night and day ............ really NEAT !

Scouted Sunday afternoon at the Duck Club Land. You guys know the pictures you see in magazines where it's literally THOUSANDS of ducks .......... well it's true :shock: . Them little boogers were flying around like mosquitoes do here. :thumbs_up:

Hunted Monday morning for 6 birds. Got to see my first 'Hollywood' (Shoveler). Seen tons of birds, but we were just not exactly where they wanted to be.

Hunted that afternoon at a different Duck Club. Truely awesome. Never been more proud of my little 1 yr old. First group that came in was a group of Green-wing Teal of about 50-60 birds. Sophie spotted them coming across the marsh before we did, stayed steady while we worked the birds, dropped 5 out of the group (never broke) and picked all 5 up like she was a seasoned dog. DAM I was proud of that pup ! She never 'broke' the whole trip, we even worked a Greenhead for a few good minutes while she watched the whole time, then SPLASHED it 10' in front of her and she NEVER BROKE ! ! ! ! ! She ended up picking up 18 birds (Teal, Mallards, Pintail) that afternoon to give the 4 of us a limit for the day. I was also glad my new Project Dog Stand worked flowlessly. We even ran over the legs with a Honda Rubicon and it didn't break ..... ofcoarse the Dike was soft helped.

Got up super early and we headed north in search of another hole. We didn't have the luck we did Monday afternoon, but still had a great time. Got to ride in a Argo for the first time. If you've never rode in one before, you need to, those things are awesome. I wouldn't buy one because they beat you to death on dry ground, buy man are those things awesome in the mud and water.

We still managed to work out 5 Mallards and 1 Gadwall. By then we realized the ducks were further south (where we came) and our next stop was northern Arkansas. Talked to our man and he said there was no need, so we cut our trip short and came on home.

Seen a lot of really neat stuff ! I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but when you have a trip like that it's hard to remember it all.................. I really need to get me one of those hunting diaries.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 am 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

happy new year 391!
PM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:31 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

We sure brought the new year in with a BANG. LOL ! ! ! !

Happy New Year to you too Nutty Buddy !

Quacker Season is about over with at the end of the month. Feburary, ride in the new SS Nut ????????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:57 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

awsome pics glad ya had a great time. Sophie sure has come along way from that wild pup at hurtwell last febuary great job

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:09 pm 

391 That's a great story and some really fine pics!!
Congrats on a good hunt. Was that your first trip out there? We've been hunting Arkansas for many years. I still look forward to it every year.
Glad your pup did so well, we can tell your very proud of her.

My group is heading out around the 14th for the beginning of the last split in Arkansas. I'll post some pics when we get back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 pm 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

Great pictures and glad you had a good time. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:12 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

391, that post was awesome i would love to go to the delta. Hunting has been the same out here woodies greenheads 747's another blackduck and 2 gadwalls. I heard of a pintail being shot around piedmont. I haven't ever heard of them up this far but with the weather who knows. Going saturday morning. See Ya Brad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:59 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Thanks for all the compliments guys ! Of coarse I'm assuming that was Jeff with 'J-n-J' and not Ms Judy :lol:

I know what you mean about last Feb' JnJ ! Boy she was young back then. I think that's where a lot of people mess up with Lab's ........ they want the finished product too fast and not willing to work through the puppy stage by letting them be puppies. Raising Lab's is no different than raising kids. You got to give them enough room to learn somethings on their own to not shelter them, yet still be able to get onto them when way out of line. That being too firm at a young age takes a lot of drive out of a dog ......... come to think of it I know some kids like that too :hmm:

Thanks Boog' and SRM ....... that was my first time out there. Hunting those Duck Clubs is something amazing. I failed to mention but yearly membership to these Duck Clubs was $10K/yr ............. I can't imagine. We'd have to be rich like the NUTMAN to do something like that :thumbs_up: . Needless to say, it was an experience I'm grateful for b/c I'll never get to experience it again.

Stick' .............. you need to go. It's something I've put off every year now for the last +10yrs. I REALLY wished I would have done it sooner.

I was going to go in te morning somewhere on the River, but my usual partner can't go, and I'm afraid if I go in the morning I will be let down by the usual SC duck hunting and I'm still 'high' off the trip .................. I think I'll stay home, clean my gear, and savor the moment a little longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:17 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:17 am 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator