[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Old Hickory Lake update
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Hickory Lake update
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:08 pm 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:21 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:13 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:25 pm 

Well went fishing last night with Roy, my partner. He talked me into going because his wife has grounded him from going alone at night any more. He has an ALL- Nighter on Saturday night begins at 11PM and ends at 7AM with another partner. We fished last night beginning at 10PM. Old Hickory is not one of Roys favorite lakes cause it is not noted for big smallies and it is not deep and clear like Percy Priest. Well I let him take me to his spots that he fishes on Old Hickory and we caught several small non keepers. Well I know I am going to regret it but because Roys my buddy and Old Hickory is my home lake I decided I would share a little of my late night locations with him. It is a verical bluff about 350 feet high right on the main channel in a major river bend that spans about 2 miles in length. Roy began to approach it as he would any vertical bluff and I told him not to get to close. He said why and I said ok lets go up and down this bank about 20 feet out on the big motor just ideling and I will show you. Depth finder is reading 80 feet and bouncing between 60 and 80 and all at once it comes up to 20 feet and remains there for about 50 feet and then drops right back into 80 feet. It is a rock ledge that runs out away from the bluff about 30 feet for 50 feet along the bluff. Now I cannot explain why these fish do this but they stack up on this ledge from about midnight to about 4 AM most nights and you cannot go there in daylight and get bit most times. I will be posting a few pictures on site soon as buddy downloads them. We boated 3 Smallies between 4 and 5 pounds which Roy was not expecting :lol: :lol: and several largemouth in the 2 to 3 pound catagory all in about 45 minutes. No small fish there. Thing is this is a location that will only help you if you fishing an All Nighter Tx or just fun fishing. If you fish a TX that ends at midnight like most do around here this location will not help you. Sorry to say these fish did not come on any of my baits this time. They came on J&L Tubes with CB's Crawfish gel scent packed inside the cavity of the tubes. When the fish hit the tubes if they didn't hold it on the first hit they came back and slammed it the second hit if you just let it sit still a second or two. I give the come back hits credit where credit is due and that is the Hawg Sauce scents. I have noticed more and more that if I get hit and fish drops it I just kill the bait for a few seconds the fish will usualy come back for it and many times just pick it up and begin to swim off or they will hit it hard if you just shake it slightly. Well thats all for this round but it is nice to be able to post a positive trip on Old Hickory for a change. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:37 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

good report :thumbs_up:

howd yall fish the tubes, what kind of rig and weight?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 am 

Fish them on T-Rigs with 3/0 Owner Tube hooks and 3/16 oz Tungston steel bullet weights and Green Pumpkin Pepper 3 1/2 in J&L Custom tubes..... :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:40 am 

Well spent about 4 days on Old Hickory this past week and spent yesterday on the lake with Triton917 from down in SC that is up here on a fishing trip. Small bass are chasing small Shad hatch minnows in 3/4 inch size all over the lake. If you dedicate alot of time to them you can catch a lot of small fish and finally pull out a limit of small keepers but they won't chase anything you throw that runs fast. Tommy and I caught about 20 fish yesterday, most small and most of them came on small worms on Shakey Heads of small T-rigged worms. They would not take anything on top. I fished Frogs, Flukes, small Buzz Baits, Super spook Jr's, and never drew a single blow on any of them. Tried small cranks and swim baits with no success. The only thing they wanted was those small shad they were chasing or something they didn't have to chase but could just pick up and begin swimming off with. I was using some of my Red Shad small ring worms and Tommy was using some Zoom Green Pumpkin trick worms on ShakeyHeads. Water temps are in upper 70's so it is still to warm to really have a good top water bite. I hope the water temps begin dropping soon for two classics I have on the Hick the end of this month and it sure would be nice if some larger fish moved up and began feeding by then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Nice Ledge! Good Job! So your fishin' with 'ol Roy are you? :wink: :-o :razz:
Get some of that dang gas money back :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:28 am 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Uh-oh. Here we go............. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:39 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:43 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:14 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

I used the last ugly bug I had sat mornin. I will try to locate one to send you. i should be able to find one somewhere!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:53 pm 

:hmm: :hmm: I sure hope your able to find one cause I want to remake that bug for sure Tommy..... :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:28 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Found some bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wrote you an email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs_up: