[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - 10 Questions?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 Questions?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:44 pm 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

With the way in which our Federal Government has been operating over the past 30 years which we all know has not been in favor of that American People but foreign nations and Illegal Immigrants I have decided to ask 10 questions and see how many different replies or answers I can get to them. They don't need to be long answers but can be if you want them to be.
(1)Which American President do you feel has done the best to help the American people since 1977?
(2) Do you think that lobbyists should be allowed to continue to work within the confines of Washington D.C. or should they be required to operate at state levels and with state Governments instead?
(3) Do you think that voting along party lines regardless of who that party may be running for certain public offices is a smart move or do you feel that it would be better to have people running for office and al run on an independent ticket including the President and vice President?
(4) Do you feel that any American President or other elected offical should be removed from office or impeached if his or her popularity poll drops below a certain level due to his or her ineffectiveness to perform their job according to the thoughts and views of the American people and the people should have the right to call a special election to remove or keep that individual person in that position?
(5) How many people believe that the American people should have more say in how things are handled in Washington D.C. and the Surpreme Court of the United States as far as possibly electing the Supreme Court Justices instead of them being appointed by the President which could show partiality in his or her choices even if that person may not be the best one to fill a vacancy.
(6) The President of the United States is allowed by law to serve two (if re-elected) consecutive terms in office. How many people feel that there should be provisions put into law that would not allow any President to run for a second term if an American Popularity Poll put forth by the American people felt that he would not or could not perform his duties as President in the best interest of the United States and the American people?
(7) How many people feel that Bill Clinton should have been impeached or required to step down as President after admitting that he had in the past smoked Marijuana and his encounter with Ms. Lewinski became public and he lied to the entire world and all of the American people and said "no it did not happen" and then it was proven through his own admission that it and still be allowed to remain in office and run for second term and get re-elected to the Office?
(8) How many people feel that George Bush should have been asked to resign or be impeached after being caught in numerous lies pertaining to the war in Iraq and costing thousands of American Soldiers lives for war that was not necessary but more of a whim and then blame it on poor intelligence. If we are supose to be the most Powerful Nation on Earth how can our intelligence not be the best Intelligence in the world also? (They removed Richard Nixon from Office in the 70's for the Watergate scandal which in my opinion was nothing compared to some of the offenses of the last two Presidents yet they both remained in office.)
(9) How many of you feel that we have adequate security protecting us as we sleep at night and go through our everday routines without thinking about 9/11 and know that can that really happen again?
(10) (Two part question) How many of you feel that in 1945 when Harry S. Truman made the decision to drop two very large explosive devices on two major cities in Japan which killed hundreds of thousands of Japanese people thought it was the proper action taken to end the war? Do you think we have anyone in public office in Washington D.C. that could make that same decision today to end a war in which we were so violently and viciously attacked?

Post subject: Re: 10 Questions?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:38 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

Gosh Softy, no beating around the bush with you...here is my two cents worth. I promise it is worth everything you paid for it :mrgreen:

1.) as far as the President with the most impact since 1977. To me that period proves the president in reality doesn't have that much impact. I believe that the two people during that time that had the most impact to benefit average Americans were Paul Volker and Alan Greenspan. Volker created the practice of using interest rates to manage inflation and it worked. Greenspan perfected it and executed the same practice for some 20 years or so. We all enjoyed economic prosperity. I guess to answer your question the only two with even a positive net affect were Reagan and Clinton. Both had a congress from the opposite party but still worked in some strong compromises - balanced budget for Clinton, Tax reform for Reagan. Reagan oversaw detente. Clinton did pretty well - unless you factor in that he and the republican congress took social standards to a new low. So I go with Reagan - as aided by Volker and Greenspan :smile:

2.) I think we need lobbyist reform. It is to be government of the people, by the people, for the people. Do lobbyists really represent the people in balanced proportion? I do not think so - they represent exactly what a republic like this was structured to avoid - pockets of power and $ having undue influence on our lawmakers. I don't care if you are talking Exxon or the gay rights crowd- they have influence in undue proportion relative to the true feelings and beliefs of the average American.

3.) I am a registered republican. I have voted straight ticket. I try to avoid it. The ticket does represent some general philosophies, but signing up for a given party doesn't mean a person has the integrity and leadership to do the job. Leave the party system as it is - educate the voters :mrgreen:

4.)No! That will be absolute chaos. We have clear laws for what is and isn't impeachable. The impeachment nonsense going back to Clinton was ridiculous - the only lasting affect was my kids grew up thinking Oral sex was a common household term. If we could do what the question describes the nonsense we saw in the 90's will look calm compared to what we will see.

5.)if you get rid of lobbyists the American people will have a stronger influence. I don't know what to do about Supreme Court justices. Having Judges Campaign would be a bad thing. I know we elect local judges - it might work. It couldn't get any more political than it is now. The Clarence Thomas thing was a ridiculous waste of money. Good judges get their reputations ruined by our congress - political factions would probably pull the same stuff in a general election. Not sure there is a good answer on this one.

6.) What is the difference between a popularity poll and a presidential election. If the people vote him in he should serve. If he becomes incapacitated hopefully he has the integrity to step down. Two presidents died of natural causes in the white house (Harrison - got sick ant his inauguration died in 17 days or something, and Taylor) I don’t know if they stepped down before death. I don’t think the poll changes anything over what we have now.

7.) Nixon lied, Clinton Lied, Ted Kennedy Lied, and Ollie North Lied. Nixon and North did the honorable thing. Clinton and Kennedy put themselves above the people.

8.) I think that Bush believed what was told to him and what he said to us when we went to war. I believe others around him may have "pumped" him to sway him (e.g. Dick Cheney). So he picked some poor staff/ running mates. The mistake Bush has made is refusing to reassess the situation. We had bad intelligence, therefore we made bad decisions, and therefore with what we know now what can we /should we do,. Is there a just reason to be in Iraq? Can we affect any greater peace than there is now? Is refusing to reassess an impeachable offense? It is for sure poor leadership (self pride over what is best for all). As for the Clinton thing: Men of honor would have worked that out behind closed doors. Both parties disgraced themselves. Right is right and wrong is wrong. This political correctness and wanting to evaluate each situation separately has created this middle ground of always debating over shades of gray. Need to get back to black and white. Clinton was foolish, selfish, and dishonest, he perjured himself- he put himself above the law. An honorable man with true concern for others would have stepped down.

9.) There is no easy way to stop 9/11. Every American needs to be more committed to doing what it takes to keep this the best and safest country on earth and not wait for the government to do it for them or be concerned about every inconvenience it might create - What is the difference between a terrorist organization and the ACLU? Terrorist kill in sudden violent attacks - the ACLU has been bleeding us to death slowly for 40 years.. We need to apply common sense to protect ourselves and not be interested in spinning each and every word of our constitution in a courtroom while common sense goes by the wayside. We need to tighten our borders, tighten our belts, and learn to be part of the solution or assume we are part of the problem. Apathy’s what makes us unsafe.

10.) What Truman did was one of the toughest decisions in history. Look at what perished then look at what rose from the ashes in Japan - pretty amazing. Was there a better way - who knows. Look how the cold war ended - Russia is a corrupt society that is spreading crime around the globe. I do not think we have had men in office with the integrity of Truman for some time. I know that sounds cynical, but they allowed themselves to be unduly influenced by their party and not their conscience. In addition the power that has come to the media etc and the inability of our leaders to make tough choices in private without leaks has made them all cow tow to the popular opinion and political correctness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:57 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

#1 NIXON
#2 Nt allowed out of their offices.Make the crooks come to them.
#3. No
#4.No
#5 No
#6. No
#7.Yes removed from office. I didn't get a blow job too. But I got F**ked.
#8.No.
#9.Who cares if it happens again. I probably won't be there and neither will you. We arenot high profile enough.
#10. Yes. Dick Cheny. He's already ired once.

Please!!! don't ban me MIKE.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 pm 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

1= Reagon
2=No lobbyists anywhere
3=vote the person
4=no
5=I don't think so
6=no
7=he should have quit on his own
8=not me
9=I sleep OK
10=Truman did what he had to do and no the use of nuclear weapons should not be used unless we are attacked by others by them first.

It's only a gambling problem if you lose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:35 am 

Ok I will give a response to Cooters answers first. Your answer to number one is very much my point to the fact that the Presidential position use to carry alot of respect in the past, but for the last 30 some odd years it is not much more then fancy title with little authority. There are people in positions in Washington that have much more PEN power than the President. I think our country suffered such a blow with the assassination of John F. Kennedy and then two years later the assassination of Robert Kennedy that is still has not fully recovered back and it has cause the better men that would have run for the Presidency to rethink running because because those two deaths proved that we do not have the ability to protect our leaders. The Pope has better security than our President. There were many theories about John Kennedys murder but I think most American people know it was aplot that came from within his own Cabinet because they could not control him so they killed him and put someone in his place they could control and Lyndon Johnson became their Puppet. Maybe someday we will have some one with the integrety to do the job run for the office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 pm