[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Do You Remember?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:05 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do You Remember?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:23 am 
Soft Body Baits Moderator

Post subject: Re: Do You Remember?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:50 am 

OK, I'll bite. Key points.
1 - Do Americans forget too quickly? Absolutley without a doubt. And yes, I do agree it is vastly due to the governments censorship of the news media.
2 - Should that censorship be lifted? Again, without a doubt. On 9/11/01, my twins were just babies. They don't understand why when I talk to Beaver on the phone, (one of my closest life long buddies), is about the only time they see me openly shed a tear. Nope, not afraid to admit that one bit. I try to explain it to them, show them the news paper and magazine articles we have saved etc, but they will never fully understand.
3 - Do I feel fuzzy? Hell no! For just the reasons you have stated.
4 - The creation of the DHS? Well, this is the one point that I do partially disagree with you on. The ONLY reason that I disagree is because as a result of the creation and recommendations of the DHS. There are numerous new security enhancements that have been required. Almost all of which are never released to the public for obvious reasons. This I know for a fact, but cannot disclose how or why I know, again for obvious reasons. There will always be targets within the USA, and no, I do not feel they are all adequatley protected in most instances. There again however, I only know about the enhancments that apply to me in my business. I travel all over the country and work in numerous industrial enviornments including nuclear facilities. I can say this, there have been many changes since the creation of DHS.
5 - Targets, well, as you said, they are everywhere. The object of terrorism does not always require a large target. If a nuclear device was to be detonated out in the desert, no one killed, no one injured, by the time the media gets through with it, it can be an act of terrorism. Simply because it instills the uncertainty and fear we all had on 9/11/01, and many have forgotten it already.

I for one would like to see the films roll again. Americans as a whole do need to be reminded of how unsafe we are. In the weeks and months after 9/11, I noticed how on guard every citizen was in the airports as I traveled. No one even dared to leave a bag at their seat in the terminal to walk 5 feet to the trash can and back. If someone did, they were immediatly under the scrutiny of every set of eyes in the terminal, many would speak up reminding the person that they left their bag. And, rightly so. Today, I sit in the same terminals, see the same thing and no one even looks up from their book, or away from the cell phone video game, lap top, etc. Now, people look at you weird when you do speak up about a bag left un attended. Just a few months ago I walked up to the ticket counter and found a back pack sitting right in front of the counter. I alerted the ticket agent about it, she peeked around the counter, picked it up and threw it behind the counter. A guy sitting next to me on the flight later said he wouldn't have said anything, and was initially pissed because I did. Why???? He had a meeting to get to in our destination city, and thought they might shut down the airport over it! WTF, dude was not the President, he was a freakin salesman. But was willing to take the chance to make a sale, and didn't give a crap about his wife, kids, family or friends. More importantly, didn't give a crap enough about the loved ones of everyone else in the airport that day either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:07 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:51 pm 

First off, I am glad that you did pay attention to these small details, and picked up on them. Most wouldn't have. Second, I know you don't doubt it, but you absolutley did the right thing in making the calls that you did. As far as how it was initially handled, I don't know. On the surface, it seems completley inappropriate on the part of the FBI. Chances are, it never went deeper than the surface until your police buddy was able to find the right buttons to push and get something done. But, that being said, I always try to see the glass half full, so I would like to think that the initial phone call did spark at least a small sub-surface investigation, and your buddy may have lit the fire under their a$$es to make a move.
I guess my main point as far as the creation of DHS, and all agencies coordinating with each other is that I know for sure that the coordinating and sharing of information is getting better. But, in no way perfect. There is still lots to be done. I feel that it is now as it always has been, the job of every American Citizen to take action when something seems aray. I think part of the problem is that we are scared, but don't want to admit it. People would rather ignore a potential problem and hope it goes away rather than address it. Or worse, the fear of falsly accusing someone will back fire in their face.

"Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it".

I recall being in Jr High, and that was written at the top of the black board all year long in history class. I saw it everyday, and read it everyday, but honestly never got what it meant until I was much older. I took it as if I didn't do my homework, I'd be sitting in the same seat next year, or worse Summer school.

Two years ago, my step daughter came to me confused about an assignment. She had to compose an essay to prove the above statement. All she could come up with was basically the same thing I thought when I was young. How in the world would she be able to BS her way through 2 full pages based on just that. My response was, well, lets go watch TV. I started with MTV or some other music channel that was playing a bunch of older tunes. She was stunned at the fact that other than the video quality, the video's, clothes, and actions were so similar to what some of the recent trends were. Then I flipped around to find some 80's music. Hmmm, remember, that's when MTV actually came out - you know, when they actually played music on MTV, and reality shows didn't exist. Anyway, she got a good laugh out of ol' Cindy Lauper, Duran Duran, Boy George, but missed the point. You'll never see parachute pants again I explained. Why, because we know how silly they were now, and no one wants to repeat that again. Throughout the afternoon, and the next few days, I weaned her into different assorted shows more suited for the job, eventually watching a 9/11 special on the History channel. Now she understood the significance of the statement. She was old enough at the time to know what she was seeing on the TV. Old enough to partially understand what was going on, and why it was happening. And damn sure old enough to realize that she didn't want it to happen again. She has seen the twin towers up close and personal several times, and remembers the sheer pride that many of the office workers had in the location of their office. She remembers me talking about the car bombings that took place a few years before right beneath her very feet, and she remembers discussing it with one of my old neighbors as he detailed what it was like to feel the ground shake in NYC only to find later that his car was essentially vaporized in the explosion. Now, she got it. We had forgotten about that, and how vulnerable we were then, and again on 9/11/01.

Maybe a bit off topic there, but worth mentioning none the less.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:00 am 

No, Addict, It was not off the track and it makes perfect sense and you helped here realize what the statement expressed. I have always said that many Americans remind me of a Ostrich. When something happens around them all they want to do is hide their head in a hole in the sand rather than deal with the problem. Myself , I want to take it head on and deal with it. Like I said in an earlier post, I was a Navy Seal Team leader in Vietnam 68-73 and my team face insmountable odds om many missions but we held our ground every time and completed our missions. I know that technology has come a long way in our military since I was in there. But I can say this with a clear and sound mind that if my team had the technology today and was still active and given the assignment of finding Osama Bin Laden my team would have laid his head on the Presidents desk gift wrapped a long time ago. I don't really know just how bad they are looking for him right now but I think Bush took his eye off the real target and got side tracked on this war he started and now does not really know how to fix it. Don't worry cause the Democrats don't have any idea how to fix it either. The reason I say that is because Bill Clinton had a much better opportunity at getting him when he was in office and instead of send in a crack squad he throws a couple missiles at one of his camps hoping he is there and missed. A Seal Team or Delta Force Team could have taken him out during the Clinton years with out so much as breaking a sweat. Actually if the American People wanted to place the blame of 9/11 on anyone it should have been Clinton White House. Bills main problem was he could not keep his mind out of the gutter long enough to take care of the country. Now as for feeling safe in this country. I saw something in this country in the days following 9/11 that make me feel much safer then the CIA, DHS and FBI and that was the coming together and Unity and inner strength of the American People. I truly believe that the one biggest mistake Al/Quada or Osama Bin Laden could do it attack this country again. There is no doubt in my mind he is going to be stupid enough to do it because he sincerely believes he can defeat us. The Islamic and Muslim people in this country made it through the first attack but I am not sure they would survive a second one. I believe at that point the American People would take things into their own hands and it is going to get ugly because what a crazy radical murderer in a far off land is going to wind up getting alot of innocent Muslims and Islamic people hurt here. Many Americans don't trust them here now and that would be the straw if you know my meaning. My suspicions were on target on the ones I was able to analyze and the more people begin to look at the ones they are around the more suspicious they will become and that is when the trouble will start. Now they say that their beliefs are not the same and the Radical Extremists / terrorists yet their teaching are from the same Holy Book and they worship the same God so just how far off plum can they be? If I am not mistaken we had a Muslim born and raised in this Country join our military and then kill several fellow soldiers by throwing hand grenades into the command tents in the beginning of the war. That is only one example of not being able to trust any of them.
I think it was quite a shock to the American people when they held the elections for the Iraq Government and allowed Iraq citizens here in this country to vote and the Iraq citizens showed up at the polls by the hundreds of thousands nation wide to vote. I am sure the Americans had no idea there was that many Iraq citizens in our country. I know our news media made several comments about the huge numbers of voters. My feelings on that are if they are Iraq citizens and allow to vote in Iraq Governmental elections then they should be living in Iraq and not here.JMHO