[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Let's Talk Hydrilla
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's Talk Hydrilla
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:03 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Why is it that Clarks Hill's hydrilla does not canopy like the hydrilla on other lakes? I have heard it was a differnt variety, does anyone know what variety it may be? I've also heard water levels. But right now the grass is thick and everywhere, and its on the surface in a lot of places 5-6', but its solid, some holes in it, but no canopy. What gives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:41 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

Lake level varies to much??? I have no clue. My 'Hill pro buddies tell me fish don't use it down there... I've caught fish out of it on the edges w/ worms....but that was BEFORE they told me fish don't use it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:30 pm 

I have been told the fish on CH don't relate to the hydrilla like they do on other lakes. There is a good article in this months Bass times about Blue Back Herring lakes. They are saying bass behavior in lakes with the BB herring in them is altered because of the herring. Who knows?? I have caught some around the grass and Elite series pro Cliff Croche( or however you spell his name) caught them down there around the grass with a floating frog this year. If you figure out the "secret" to the hill send me an IM.
britt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:27 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Cliff caught them out of the primrose up SC Little River. There is no hydrilla in his area (I was there last thursday). There are definitely fish in the grass, I caught one on a frog on Saturday out of it (GA Little River) and saw a 3lb chase it back to the boat. Saw a 5 cruising, spooked while chopping up the slow. It just seems so thick, I just don't know why it won't mat with a canopy. I can catch plenty of fish off of grass lines, but size is few and far between.

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Hydrilla
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm 

It used to canopy out a lot when the water was low for so long and should still be up to the surface in some of the mid or lower lake areas. Water clarity has a lot to do with whether or not it will grow and the mid to lower lake are always clearer. The lake over the past few years has come up around 10 feet or so and has varied up and down over the past few months and that plays a factor as well. It dropped 3-4 feet with the hot dry Sept we had and has just come back up a little. The fish here are all messed up. I live on the lake and can tell you that there is an incredible amount of shad in the lake this year, add that to all the blueback herring, plus the rising and falling water, all the new shoreline grass and hydrilla, this place is hard to pattern. Just look at what this place did to the pros back in May. You've got your resident scattered shallow fish, you've got a suspended roaming population of 11 inch schools of bass which are driving me crazy, plus the occasional roaming school with a few quality keepers, and the 7-10 pounders that are not stupid enough to bite a fluke or topwater and gorge themselves on bluebacks by just opening their mouths. The lake projection shows it dropping 5-6 feet by December. http://water.sas.usace.army.mil/home/indexDU.htm Hopefully this may help the bite. I really need to find a good farm pond to fish cause the Hill sucks right now. I don't understand how Murray can be so good now and the Hill doesn't fish the same way. The tournament winning weights for one day on Murray have been more than two day winning weights on the Hill. Just my luck, sure wish I lived on Murray.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Basically what my boy "cox" just said sums it all up. :thumbs_up:

Cliff Crochet's fish definately came off shoreline veg ...... not frog's over hydrilla. The funniest thing about that is up in (deleted by 'gcoxvb') Creek, you very rarely saw a bass boat, mostly just jon boats and guys catfishing. For a solid week after that TX, you'd cross the bridges in the upper ends of (deleted by 'gcoxvb') and (deleted by 'gcoxvb') and there was 5-10 bass boats up each one ALL WEEK LONG !

I do definitely agree that this lake has changed over the years (meaning 20) and the only thing I can acct it to is BBH. If you'd told us 20yrs ago to go run the BBH bite we'd looked at you like you're nuts. Back then the bass were so pattern-able it was nuts. I mean to the point where you fished it in the upper end (Hester's Bottom and north), then 1wk later you fished it in the Hickory Knob area, and then 1 wk later in Parksville/Modoc. If you were junk fishing, you were generally just some guy unable to get on the exact pattern. Not so today.

"Cox" ..... I agree ...... I don't understand either ........ someone needs to read to them ........ would love to understand blanks and tumblers ......... seen I missed a call but no message to follow up on. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:49 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Last two posts are spot on what I'm talking about. I guess its just a variety of factors with this lake. It's not like Murray, where the Herring are more centralized to the Middle/Lower lake. There are herring spread throughout Clarks Hill, so none of the bass really act like "bass." Sure, you have some resident fish as gcoxvb stated, but they are way up different creeks, such as the one 391 mentioned (three miles from my lake house). Just frustrates the hell out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 pm 
Secession Moderator
Secession Moderator

I think duh 'Hill bass have been bopped on their heads one to many times w/ a 5/8oz c-rig sinker....LOL Don't know why y'all waste all that boat gas on the lower end....all the TX's are won up on my end..... I mean everyone since Hite "invented" the Mop Jig....CYA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 am 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 pm 
Russell Moderator
Russell Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:20 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:44 pm 
Greenwood Moderator
Greenwood Moderator

Keep It Wet! Take One Make One! Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs! In God We Trust! Happy Trails To You Until we Meet Again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

391 - ur right about that Creek... um Cox Creek maybe? But after all those fish got sore mouthed from the TV crowd, they shut down. A couple weeks later, that bite was great again but everyone was back to their bad habits.

Ask gcox about that herring bite he was on when he got a nice check in the BWS in 2009... all swimbaits right? ;)

I see a lot of people on the Hill stuck in a rut... they got three baits on the deck and don't know what to do when they don't work. (and I'm in that group sometimes)