[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Fire ant killer
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire ant killer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

Those of you who have been around here a long time may recall my past rants with Fire Ant treatments. I have tried everything any big box store sells a couple times with no consistant positive results. Last April I hired a pro to treat my yard with a 1 yr guarentee. He treated about 1 acre and it cost me $300. It was decent but I had him back 3 or 4 times plus treated mounds myself. I decided that was a waste of $300. I went to a small farm supply store here in town and asked them what they had. I bought two 50# bags of Talstar for about $35. a bag and I treated my entire yard and gravel driveway, about 2 acres. The man told me it should last a year or more. That was 2 weeks ago and even after this last rain, no ants anywhere. So if anyone is fighting the fire ants this could be an option to look into.

It's only a gambling problem if you lose

Post subject: Re: Fire ant killer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm 
Technical Moderator
Technical Moderator

Thanks for the tip Joe, trying to find Talstar at that price or finding it around here is tough. I went to three feed stores here today and couldn't find it. Got one I will try in Williamston but may need to drive your way. Fleas and Ticks gonna be bad this year too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 pm 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

I also told people on my FB about it and they are going to get some. I thought the price for that amount was darn good. There are several types of Talstar so if I get a chance I'll see what type they gave me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 pm 
Monticello Moderator
Monticello Moderator

Thanks Joe I have been fighting them for a long time now. I picked up some fire ant killer from tractor supply the other day. It is called Knock Out Fire ant killer Plus Granules. put it on the mounds and add water. Looked at them today and the mount was coved with dead ants. The active ingredients is Bifenthrin. If this does not work I am going to get some Talstar. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The ticks are bad! Got 4 off my dog last night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 pm 

Hey Capt. FB I have used the Knock Out product on mounds for a couple yrs. It works great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:13 am 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

I mowed the grass yesterday evening and still not a single sign of any ants. The neighbor next door and across the street have plenty so they are active.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am 

Where did you purchase the ant killer ? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm 
Monticello Moderator
Monticello Moderator

Bifenthrin is the same cemical in both products you want it with 7.9% active ingredient

Bifenthrin pesticide is a third generation pyrethroid, which is designed to be very photo-stable, and not break down very fast. Bifenthrin also binds to organic material very tightly, and doesn’t move once it is applied. Bifenthrin, along with other pyrethroids, are not systemic and are not taken up by plants. This active ingredient is very effective on general insect control, in addition to spiders, scorpions and other arachnids. Bifenthrin is also an excellent contact insecticide in lawns and trees and shrubs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 am 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 am 

Hello
Do any one suggest from where did you purchase the ant killer ? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 am 
Jr Member
Jr Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be taking note of this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm 
SCLakes Court Jester
SCLakes Court Jester

I am still using Talstar grannual and it comes in 50 Lb bags. I also found it in a liquid that you mix up and can spray. It too has been very effective. I moved to Jonesville from Gaffney and the 5 acres here were over run with fire ants. Used Talstar granules and they are gone. Used 5 bags first time and used 4 more last fall. So far this year I see none.