Lake Greenwood is a 11,400 acre man-made lake operated by Duke Power Company through a lease from Greenwood County. Public access is available through public boat ramps, local parks, and Lake Greenwood State Park.
Lake Greenwood History
In 1933, at the depth of the Depression, Congress established the Public Works Administration to finance construction projects as a means of combating unemployment. Greenwood County filed an application for funds to build a dam and power plant on the Saluda River. The project would provide employment for the jobless and would generate cheap electricity for local residents. Greenwood County acquired more than 250 parcels of land in the lake basin, an area cleared of heavy timber by crews of the Civilian Conservation Corps, another New Deal agency. The county finance board also purchased rights of way for transmission lines to distribute electricity to Greenwood, Ninety Six, Clinton, Laurens and Newberry. In mid-August 1940, the lake approached capacity. Today, Lake Greenwood provides extensive recreational opportunities such as boating, fishing and water sports. In addition, the construction of Lake Greenwood has ensured an adequate water supply for a growing population and new industry.