[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SCLakes.com • View topic - Little help please?
SCLakes.com

SCLakes.com

Bringing fishermen togeather since 1998!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 pm
Sponsors

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Little help please?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:06 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

I have a BASS tournament on Lake Russell on May 17th. I am a non-boater fishing the BASS Weekend Series and I've never laid eyes on or set foot in or around Lake Russell.

I was wondering what is to be expected of the fishing for that time of year. My first guess is the spawn will pretty much be over and post spawn will be the dominant pattern? Are largemouths the prodominant fish or is spots? Does it also have smallies? Clear or stained water? Is there a lock system between Thrumond and Hartwell that connects the three? You know, things like that. Not looking for any spots or anything of that nature. Like I said, I'm a non-boater so it won't be up to me where we fish. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect.

I appreciate any help y'all can lend.

Post subject: Re: Little help please?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:24 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Your best bet is to let your boater do the "where" and you concentrate on the "what". Be flexible and bring topwater, crankbaits, worms, and spinnerbaits. Ask the boater what his plans are and adjust. Enjoy the lake and don't get too excited when you see the standing timber. It is everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:08 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

I realize that, but since it's not in my backyard I can't just run to the house and bring what the boater says I need nor can I bring every rod and reel I own.

I always like to get a general idea of the lake and some of the "more successful" techniques before showing up. It makes it a whole lot easier than grabbing everything I own and then sorting through it. Plus the boaters hate it when you try to cram umpteen rods and umpteen tackle bags in their boat.

Thanks though. :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:13 am 
Jocassee Moderator
Jocassee Moderator

No locks on the lake.. The lake has all 3 species you mentioned. Spots are really taking over..

I will have to think of what you need to take. Its a deep lake but has lots of humps and submerged trees and brush... lots of coves were simply flooded so the timber is still there... that's a good place to fish for the big ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:34 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Coontie ive never seen a smallie in russell. Where have you caught those?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Archer, sent you a pm a week ago (replying to your reply) and never heard from you.
Fishing the BWS Russell 4/19. You must be fishing the Ga div.
Who knows what the weather/WT will be but PNJ, SB's, DD Cranks, JB's Apr/May.
Worm too. That's 4 rods. I use 10, 12, 15, 17 lb line.
Hey, your boater might wanna throw crig most of the day...just be prepared to switch one of your 4 rods.. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

I sent you a PM back peanutman.

Anyway...I'm not fishing the GA division...I'm fishing the SC division (division 9) and the BWS for us is 5/17. The tournament you mentioned is the SC West Division (division 7). We won't be able to link because we're in different divisions. I appreciate the gesture though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:51 am 
Jr Member
Jr Member

I am no expert by any means, but what I have not seen mentioned to you yet, is that this lake is not developed with houses, therefore there aren't docks like you might be used to on your SC lakes. Structure fishing then obviously dominates here. The water here is also generally very clear, unless you boater knows where to find some stained water (not a whole lot when it doesn't rain....). What they told you above is true on what to bring. Depending on your boater, I would be prepared to finese fish with a worm (C-rig). Any color will do, as long as it's green :thumbs_up: Kyle
P.S. I too have only ever caught large lips and spots here, no small mouths.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

One more question...Since the lake sits on the GA/SC border, do you need a SC AND a GA fishing license?

Thanks for the help fellas! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:48 pm 
**Founding Member**
**Founding Member**

No just one or the other. Either a SC or a GA. license work. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Why is it after I push one for English I still can't understand The person on the other end?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 am 
Jedi Master Member
Jedi Master Member

Thanks!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:06 pm 

In may if you do not have 15+ pounds...too bad. Russell does have good spots, and you can get 15 pounds of them, but in may, the largemouths are gonna rule the weigh in. There isn't much muddy water, but it isn't all deer park either. Be ready to compete for every point and hump on the lake. Most likely you'll do the best having a top water, big crankbait, jnp, big c rig, and a fluke for largemouth and finesse baits for the open water spot hunters, shakey head with trick worm, not a finess worm, and light c rig with clear/transparent baits. Tubes are good for the better spots. Also have some blade runners for bridge fishing, yeah every body is fishing it too, but everyone is catching fish too. the spots will eat the fluke too, with a sammy though, unless they are hungry, it will look like the discovery channel is filming great white sharks eating baby seals.

Just some stuff from half of team one-lake-wonders.